Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Can't Open Files

My MS Apps all-of-a-sudden will not allow files to be open from windows
explorer. For example, when I double-click a .xls or .doc file to open them,
a new instance of excel or word opens and the application hangs and the file
won't open. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it? I can still open
by selecting fileopen from the application itself and everything is fine.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

hi
if you can sitll open by selecting fiileopen then excel is not your
problem. post in windows explorer.
I don't know what the problem is but i do know that various versions of
windows were a tad bit more squirrelier that other versions concerning this
issue. i always open files throught the application and avoid the problem
altogeather. of cource this may put a damper on the way you have gotten use
to doing things. sorry.

regards
FSt1

"Mike H." wrote:

My MS Apps all-of-a-sudden will not allow files to be open from windows
explorer. For example, when I double-click a .xls or .doc file to open them,
a new instance of excel or word opens and the application hangs and the file
won't open. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it? I can still open
by selecting fileopen from the application itself and everything is fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Try the usual fix for this.

ToolsOptionsGeneral Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications"

If no joy with that................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Mike H." wrote:

My MS Apps all-of-a-sudden will not allow files to be open from windows
explorer. For example, when I double-click a .xls or .doc file to open them,
a new instance of excel or word opens and the application hangs and the file
won't open. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it? I can still open
by selecting fileopen from the application itself and everything is fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
CLR CLR is offline

Hey Gord.........
1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Might that work for other programs, or is it just for Office
stuff........I'm having the same trouble now with Paint Shop Pro.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Mike H." wrote:

My MS Apps all-of-a-sudden will not allow files to be open from windows
explorer. For example, when I double-click a .xls or .doc file to open

them,
a new instance of excel or word opens and the application hangs and the

file
won't open. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it? I can still

open
by selecting fileopen from the application itself and everything is

fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have no idea Chuck

Have you tried the right-clickOpen With routine?

In My ComputerToolsFolder OptionsFile Types, what is the "open" command line
for files you want to open with PSP?

Which would be what? jpgs, bmps, pngs etc.

Gord

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:47:48 -0500, "CLR" wrote:

Hey Gord.........
1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Might that work for other programs, or is it just for Office
stuff........I'm having the same trouble now with Paint Shop Pro.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

.. .

"Mike H." wrote:

My MS Apps all-of-a-sudden will not allow files to be open from windows
explorer. For example, when I double-click a .xls or .doc file to open

them,
a new instance of excel or word opens and the application hangs and the

file
won't open. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it? I can still

open
by selecting fileopen from the application itself and everything is

fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Gord........
I tried my best but nothing would help.........so, resorted to re-installing
PSP7 and all worked fine......just to close the loop.

sometimes the Dragon wins........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

I have no idea Chuck

Have you tried the right-clickOpen With routine?

In My ComputerToolsFolder OptionsFile Types, what is the "open" command

line
for files you want to open with PSP?

Which would be what? jpgs, bmps, pngs etc.

Gord

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:47:48 -0500, "CLR"

Hey Gord.........

"Mike H." wrote:

My MS Apps all-of-a-sudden will not allow files to be open from

windows
explorer. For example, when I double-click a .xls or .doc file to

open
them,
a new instance of excel or word opens and the application hangs and

the
file
won't open. Any idea what caused this and how to fix it? I can

still
open
by selecting fileopen from the application itself and everything is

fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thanks for the update Chuck.

damn dragon<g

Gord

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:14:29 -0500, "CLR" wrote:

Hi Gord........
I tried my best but nothing would help.........so, resorted to re-installing
PSP7 and all worked fine......just to close the loop.

sometimes the Dragon wins........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

.. .
I have no idea Chuck

Have you tried the right-clickOpen With routine?

In My ComputerToolsFolder OptionsFile Types, what is the "open" command

line
for files you want to open with PSP?

Which would be what? jpgs, bmps, pngs etc.

Gord

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:47:48 -0500, "CLR"

Hey Gord.........