Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel 2007 Filtering Problem

I have a problem with Excel 2007 filtering that I am hoping someone can help
with.

Use the following list for example

Row Value
1 A
2 B
3 A
4 B

When I apply a filter on column "Values" to only show those rows = B, I see
rows 2 and 4. I then select those two rows by dragging the mouse or using the
Shift Key to select all rows visible through the filter (keep in mind that
normally this would be many more than 4 rows).

Now if I apply a background color to the select rows (which are rows 2 and 4
since 1 and 3 are filtered out of view) and then remove the filter, all 4
rows show the same colored background (let's say Yellow for example).

Now to make this more confusing, I reapply the filter to show only rows 2
and 4 and select green as the back ground and then remove the filter, and
only rows 2 and 4 have green as the background.

It seems that the first time I filter on a range and attempt to action
something against just the cells in the filter, it applies to all cells
between the first and last row selected, even if they are filtered out of
view.

The next time I apply a filter, even if it is different, and I do the same
actions for selecting and applying the action to the rows (such as a back
ground color) it works properly, only applying the background color to the
visible cells, not the ones hidden by the filter.

I have tested this against Excel 2003 and that version works properly every
time.

My environment I have tested on Excell 2007 on Windows XP and Vista, both
using default installs and fully patched through Office Update with no change
in this behaviour.

Some help on this is greatly appreciated as we use Filtering extensively and
this issue with Excel 2007 is prohibiting me from rolling out the latest
version.

Thanks