Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Default workbook settings

I am working in Office 2003. I would like to customize my default workbook
so that whether I start Excel or go to File, New to use a blank workbook,
the margins, headers, etc are always the same. If I create the workbook and
save it as Book.xls in the XLStart folder, only the initial workbook seems
to hold the settings. How can I change the default workbook for all new
workbooks?

TIA,

Ricki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Ricki

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish.

FileSave As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name your
workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for FileNew or the Toolbar button FileNew

WARNING................Do not use FileNew...Blank Workbook or you will get the
Excel default workbook.

NOTE: Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default InsertSheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Gord Dibben Excel MVP