Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Ren Ren is offline

Default Cannot install excel

Please help! I am an absolute novice so a very basic reply would be very
helpful. My problem is that I installed Windows xp professional version 2002
and then downloaded service pack 2. My husband has noticed that we no longer
have excel on the computer so I put the original Windows disk in and clicked
"install excel". I then got a message saying "setup cannot continue because
the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on your CD"
and then scary stuff about uninstalling and losing stuff I have saved.

In my simple mind, I assume that I can just download an up to date version
of excel via the microsoft website but I have searched and searched and
cannot find how to do this. Please can anybody help?

Many thanks,
Ren.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Do a search on the computer for excel.exe. If you find that then you still
have excel on the computer and the short cut is missing from the start menu.
If you do not have that file then you will need to reinstall excel
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Ren" wrote:

Please help! I am an absolute novice so a very basic reply would be very
helpful. My problem is that I installed Windows xp professional version 2002
and then downloaded service pack 2. My husband has noticed that we no longer
have excel on the computer so I put the original Windows disk in and clicked
"install excel". I then got a message saying "setup cannot continue because
the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on your CD"
and then scary stuff about uninstalling and losing stuff I have saved.

In my simple mind, I assume that I can just download an up to date version
of excel via the microsoft website but I have searched and searched and
cannot find how to do this. Please can anybody help?

Many thanks,
Ren.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Windows and Excel aren't the same thing.

Depending on how you installed WinXP Pro, you may have deleted Excel.

If you did a complete install of WinXP Pro (reformatted the harddrive), you lost
everything that existed on that harddrive (program files and data files).
(Upgrading to WinXP Pro SP2 didn't play any role in this.)

If you upgraded from a previous version of windows (not by formatting the
harddrive), then all the program files and data files should have been
safe--although (if I recall correctly), the upgrade tells you to back up your
important data files before you upgrade--just in case something bad happens.

So depending on what you did, excel could still be there on your harddrive.

Try using windows start button|search
to look for
excel.exe

If you find it, try doubleclicking on it and see if excel starts.

If it does, then it sounds like you just lost the shortcut to start the
program.

You can rightclick on that found excel.exe and select Send To|desktop (create
shortcut). And you may be happy. (Well, after you do the same for WinWord.exe
and whatever else you wanted.)

If you don't find this excel.exe, then it's gone and needs to be reinstalled.

Instead of inserting the Windows XP Pro CD, you'll want to find the Office
(whatever version you're running) CD and reinstall from there.

But MS doesn't offer any free versions of excel (except for trial versions that
have a limited life span) for download. (But they do offer free service pack
upgrades to legally installed versions of Office.)

Ren wrote:

Please help! I am an absolute novice so a very basic reply would be very
helpful. My problem is that I installed Windows xp professional version 2002
and then downloaded service pack 2. My husband has noticed that we no longer
have excel on the computer so I put the original Windows disk in and clicked
"install excel". I then got a message saying "setup cannot continue because
the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on your CD"
and then scary stuff about uninstalling and losing stuff I have saved.

In my simple mind, I assume that I can just download an up to date version
of excel via the microsoft website but I have searched and searched and
cannot find how to do this. Please can anybody help?

Many thanks,
Ren.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Ren Ren is offline

Thank you both for your help. I found it via search and have replaced the
shortcut on my desktop. This is the 1st time I have signed up to this forum
and used it and am very grateful for the help.

Ren.