Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Import *.csv file into Excel with 16-digit number converted to tex

I have *.csv file with 16-digit number(which is actually text ID), when I am
trying to open this file with Excel- it shows the 'scientific' notation for
this column, converting the column to text causes the rounding of the last
digit to 0 and then I am not able to use it as an ID.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

In the Text Import Wizard, Step 3 of 3, you can force the import format of
individual columns. There you must specify that the ID column is text.
Otherwise, since Excel will interpret it as numeric, because it can.

Excel (like almost all software) uses IEEE double precision strage for
numers. Double precision is not capable of representing all 16 digit
integers, so MS chose to never display more than 15 digits (documented in
Help) for a number.

Jerry

"IrinaR" wrote:

I have *.csv file with 16-digit number(which is actually text ID), when I am
trying to open this file with Excel- it shows the 'scientific' notation for
this column, converting the column to text causes the rounding of the last
digit to 0 and then I am not able to use it as an ID.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Import *.csv file into Excel with 16-digit number converted to

Thank you very much, Jerry, your advice workes great with my data, you helped
to solv long-standing problem :)
Irina

"IrinaR" wrote:

I have *.csv file with 16-digit number(which is actually text ID), when I am
trying to open this file with Excel- it shows the 'scientific' notation for
this column, converting the column to text causes the rounding of the last
digit to 0 and then I am not able to use it as an ID.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Jerry

"IrinaR" wrote:

Thank you very much, Jerry, your advice workes great with my data, you helped
to solv long-standing problem :)
Irina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Let you try add = "" & "<16-digit" in your csv file
For example: = "" & "0123456789123456789"

I am not sure that this will help you.

IrinaR เขียน: