Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Name columns

How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Max Max is offline

You can't. The usual way is to use a col header, eg input: Date into say,
A1 (as the name of the col)
--
Max
Singapore
"az-willie" wrote in message
How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

On Feb 10, 11:12 am, az-willie wrote:
How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?

Select the following:
Insert---Name---Define

Enter the name "Date" in the top text box
Click inside the textbox at the bottom under the words:"Refers To"
Now select column A by clicking on it. There should be something like
the following in the textbox now --- =Expenses!$A:$A

Your sheet name will be different of course.

Hope that got it for ya
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Mark wrote:
On Feb 10, 11:12 am, az-willie wrote:
How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?

Select the following:
Insert---Name---Define

Enter the name "Date" in the top text box
Click inside the textbox at the bottom under the words:"Refers To"
Now select column A by clicking on it. There should be something like
the following in the textbox now --- =Expenses!$A:$A

Your sheet name will be different of course.

Hope that got it for ya
Mark

=================
I forgot to mention this is in Excel 2007.

Under Insert there is no Name or define. Been poking around but have not
figured it out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Formulas tab, Defined Names chunk, Define Name

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"az-willie" wrote in message ...
| Mark wrote:
| On Feb 10, 11:12 am, az-willie wrote:
| How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?
|
| Select the following:
| Insert---Name---Define
|
| Enter the name "Date" in the top text box
| Click inside the textbox at the bottom under the words:"Refers To"
| Now select column A by clicking on it. There should be something like
| the following in the textbox now --- =Expenses!$A:$A
|
| Your sheet name will be different of course.
|
| Hope that got it for ya
| Mark
|
| =================
| I forgot to mention this is in Excel 2007.
|
| Under Insert there is no Name or define. Been poking around but have not
| figured it out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Niek Otten wrote:
Formulas tab, Defined Names chunk, Define Name

============
Ummm, just tried that --- it puts the name in the box to the left but
does not change the label at the top of the column and when I look at
Print Preview it is still column A etc. etc.

I must be doing something wrong.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

az-willie

I don't know 07 but I can't see why this would not work. Here is what I do:
IN A1 put "Date" (No quotes) the in B1 put "Name" (or whatever) and fill your
proposed column headers across. Then I Hide the Column and Row headers. If
you need the row numbers move everything to the right and use column "A" to
place the Row numbers. I have learned to be careful when editing my formulas
when I can't see column and row headers.

Mike Rogers

How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

"az-willie" wrote:

How do I name columns so instead of column A I have Date?

Thank you, I didn't know you could hide the row and column headings.
This enables me to make a printout without the A B C at the top of the
columns and with the proper name on them.

Now if I can just remember this the next time I want to do that :)