Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Totalling Values From The Same Cell In 12 Worksheets Onto New Shee

I have a 'Wages' workbook in which I have 12 sheets; one for each employee. I
changed the tab names to the names of each employee. I want to total the
'Gross Wage' which, in week 1, is in cell G9 on each sheet, and put the
answer onto a new sheet. So that's the total of 12 different G9's.
I started with: ='Sarah Deering'!G9 on the new sheet and that
worked. But I need a formula for all 12. I hope the formula doesn't require
me to type in all 12 names. I want the answer to appear in only one cell in
the new sheet, as a total
Any ideas? Should the new sheet be in a new workbook?

Thanks. - Gatsby. (Not The Great)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Insert a couple of worksheets to surround your existing worksheets.

Call the one at the far Left, "Start" (w/o the quotes).
Call the one at the far right, "End" (w/o the quotes).

Then put the total sheet outside that "sandwich" of worksheets.

And use a formula like:
=sum(Start:End!g9)

You can drag sheets in and out of that sandwich to play what-if games.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Totalling Values From The Same Cell In 12 Worksheets Onto New

Well, that was quick! Thank you, Dave for your rapid reply. It's 1.45 A.M,
here in Ireland and I thought I'd check 'tomorrow' for a reply but I can't
believe I got one so quickly. And.......I did what you said and it worked.
Thanks a million, Dave.
BTW, I sent the post to 'Worksheet Functions' as well. I hope nobody goes to
too much trouble replying.
Gatsby (Not The Great).

Gatsby wrote:

I have a 'Wages' workbook in which I have 12 sheets; one for each employee. I
changed the tab names to the names of each employee. I want to total the
'Gross Wage' which, in week 1, is in cell G9 on each sheet, and put the
answer onto a new sheet. So that's the total of 12 different G9's.
I started with: ='Sarah Deering'!G9 on the new sheet and that
worked. But I need a formula for all 12. I hope the formula doesn't require
me to type in all 12 names. I want the answer to appear in only one cell in
the new sheet, as a total
Any ideas? Should the new sheet be in a new workbook?

Thanks. - Gatsby. (Not The Great)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I responded with a warning to others that you posted elsewhere.

But it's very rare when you have to post to more than one newsgroup. If you
think you have to, you can crosspost -- send one message to multiple groups
instead of sending individual messages to each group.