Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default R1C1 - how can I permanently undo this setting in Excel?

Despite changing the setting under Options/General where I uncheck the box
"R1C1" every time I open Excel, it does not seem to store my setting
permanently. How can I permanently undo this setting so that I work in "A1"
mode?

Thankx
Sheila

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook you open in that session.
If you're unlucky enough that your first workbook opened is in R1C1 reference
style, you'll have to make the change.

Do you save the workbook after you make the change to A1 reference style?

Do you have a coworker who likes R1C1 and saves it that way? (Could mean a
fight!)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Dave

Thankx for the reply but I'm still battling. I had this problem on Office
2003 and after completely un-installing that version and then doing a brand
new install of Office 2007 beta release 2, I have the same problem. This
kinda tells me that this setting is held in some kind of profile file or such
like 'cos like I say I completely un-installed Office 2003.

I am the only user of these worksheets as I'm saving them on my own laptop.
If I just launch Excel and do nothing else other than change that setting
and then close out of Excel I stil have the problem when I come back in.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thankx
Sheila

Sheila wrote:

Despite changing the setting under Options/General where I uncheck the box
"R1C1" every time I open Excel, it does not seem to store my setting
permanently. How can I permanently undo this setting so that I work in "A1"
mode?

Thankx
Sheila

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

HI Sheila,

Do look at Bob's suggestion

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Sheila" wrote in message ...
| Hi Dave
|
| Thankx for the reply but I'm still battling. I had this problem on Office
| 2003 and after completely un-installing that version and then doing a brand
| new install of Office 2007 beta release 2, I have the same problem. This
| kinda tells me that this setting is held in some kind of profile file or such
| like 'cos like I say I completely un-installed Office 2003.
|
| I am the only user of these worksheets as I'm saving them on my own laptop.
| If I just launch Excel and do nothing else other than change that setting
| and then close out of Excel I stil have the problem when I come back in.
|
| I appreciate your suggestions.
| Thankx
| Sheila
|

| "Dave Peterson" wrote:
|
| Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook you open in that session.
| If you're unlucky enough that your first workbook opened is in R1C1 reference
| style, you'll have to make the change.
|
| Do you save the workbook after you make the change to A1 reference style?
|
| Do you have a coworker who likes R1C1 and saves it that way? (Could mean a
| fight!)
|
| Sheila wrote:
|
| Despite changing the setting under Options/General where I uncheck the box
| "R1C1" every time I open Excel, it does not seem to store my setting
| permanently. How can I permanently undo this setting so that I work in "A1"
| mode?
|
| Thankx
| Sheila
|

| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Bob

Thankx for your suggestion. I found a file called "personal.xls" in that
folder (not book.xlt) and I opened it and then made the change and saved it
and my problem is solved!!!!

You pointed me in the right direction and I thank you for that.

Cheers
Sheila