Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Opening Excel

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Barry

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE9\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 05:56:01 -0800, Barry
wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

My settings were already set as you noted below. However, I went in and
tried to remove the /e and now it keeps putting in a "%1" at the end and I
can't get rid of it. Also, when I open an existing document, I now get an
error msg.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Barry

What is the error message you get?

Try this method to re-register Excel after removing the /e from the path.

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I asked our help desk to correct the problem yesterday and they did a
"Repair" install of MS Office that removed the problem. However, I still
have my original issue, that of an empty workbook opening when I open an
existing workbook. Some additional information... I've created a template
with headers and footers that I want to default for everything I create. I've
been doing this for multiple versions and only this last version have I had a
problem like this. I've stored the .xlt in the following directory: I
created a workbook called BOOK.xlt and put it into the directory C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart

Again, my problem is when I double click from explorer an existing workbook
that I just want to open and edit, it also opens a new workbook, becuase of
this template I've created. My template settings are all ok, but I'm tired
of having to close this empty workbook that I don't really want. If I first
open Excel, then do a file/open, I don't have the problem, but who wants to
do that all of the time. Again, I've done this for many many previous
versions of Excel and never had a problem. I also do this for WORD and have
never had a problem, nor am I having a problem with WORD now, just Excel.
Does that shed any more light on my problem ? thanks in advance.

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Barry

If you truly saved a BOOK.XLT as a Template in your XLSTART folder, this is not
the blank workbook that opens. Templates do not open unless called for with
FileNew.

If you just saved as a regular workbook. it will open when Excel starts.

Is the name of the blank workbook Book1.xls?

If so, that is Excel's default blank WB.

Try this method.

In ToolsOptionsGeneral, uncheck "Ignore other applications" if already
checked.

I have always had success with setting the /e appended to the command line as
previously noted.

Gord

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Well... I really appreciate all of your effort, but I don't think you've
zeroed in on my problem yet. I do truely (just double checked) have a
workbook named "Book.xlt" in my XLSTART folder that is opening. I proved
this, because when I remove it, I don't have the problem, but I also don't
have my defaults I'm attempting to get. Lastly, the check box you say to
turn off (uncheck) under tools is already off. :-( any other suggestions?

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Did you actually save asfile typeexcel template(*.xlt) or did you just save as
and added the xlt yourself.

True *.xlt files will not open when Excel starts.

Re-create a workbook with some formatting etc. and FileSave AsFile
TypeTemplate(*.xlt)

Name it BOOK......do not add the .xlt

Click Save. Move that BOOK.XLT into the XLSTART folder.

Does it open when Excel is started?

Another guess................

Go to ToolsOptionsGeneral and delete any path in "At startup, open all files
in"

You may have a book.xls in that folder.

Gord

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

YOU GOT IT! Thank you very much. I must have created the workbook and just
renamed it with the extension of .xlt instead of saving it as a template.
This has been nagging me for 9 months now. Problem solved. Again, thank you
very much. Resolved.

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Whew!

Glad we got that done.

Common mistake.........just manually adding the .xlt does not create a Template.

Gord

wrote:

I've created an Excel template and put it into the recommended location and
it works. However, when I open an existing Excel workbook from explorer,
instead of just opening the workbook that I want opened, it also opens a
blank workbook. I have to go close the blank workbook separately, which is a
real pain. How can I keep this "extra" blank workbook from opening every
time I open an existing workbook? I am using Excel 2003 (11.8033.8036) SP2.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Whe I use the excel.exe /regserver command the Windows installer goes through
its "re-installing" without asking for a CD

Does this not work for you?

Gord