andrea

Default Excel will not allow me to create a name of "C" for a cell!

I have created cell names of "A" and "B" successfully. However, when I try
to name the very next cell "C", Excel automatically changes it to "C_". In
other words, it adds an underscore symbol. Why is it doing this?

Thank you!
andrea

does "C" have a special value or meaning in Exce.?
Dave Peterson

Just a guess.

C looks too much like a reference in R1C1 reference style.

If I type C in the namebox (to the left of the formula bar), the column with the
activecell is selected.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Some people like to refer to columns by numbers (1:256) instead of (a:iv).

I say those people are nuts!

But if you write a couple of formulas in some cells, then
tools|options|general tab|check R1C1 reference style
and look at those formulas (and the column headers).

This formula (in G11) will look like:
=A1+$B$3+SUM(E:E)

=R[-10]C[-6]+R3C2+SUM(C[-2])

=Row[10 above]Column[6 to left]
+ Row3Column2 (absolute reference)
+ sum(column[2 to the left])

It does have one really nice advantage. If you turn this on, you can look at
all the formulas in a column and see if there are any inconsistencies pretty
quickly (since they'll all look the same).

Don't forget how to toggle this setting.

andrea wrote:

I have created cell names of "A" and "B" successfully. However, when I try
to name the very next cell "C", Excel automatically changes it to "C_". In
other words, it adds an underscore symbol. Why is it doing this?

Thank you!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

andrea

Thank you, Dave! That was a very clear and helpful explanation!