Junior Member

Default excel versions

I need to develop a MI report in excel. However, the version on my computer is version 2003, but persons who are going to look at it only have version 97. I've tried to create a test sheet on my computer and requested my user, who's got version 97, to open it. As expected, he was not able to open it.

Is there anyway I can create the report in 2003 but the file is to be viewable in 97?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Max Max is offline

Not sure .. but you could try File Save as,
and select from the "Save as type" box :
Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook.xls
--
Max
Singapore
"miyuki" wrote:

I need to develop a MI report in excel. However, the version on my
computer is version 2003, but persons who are going to look at it only
have version 97. I've tried to create a test sheet on my computer and
requested my user, who's got version 97, to open it. As expected, he
was not able to open it.

Is there anyway I can create the report in 2003 but the file is to be
viewable in 97?

--
miyuki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

This is not the behavior I'd expect.

The file format for xl97 through xl2003 is the same. Any of these versions of
excel should be able to open a file created in any other of these versions.

If you emailed the .xls file to the other user, maybe something happened in the
transmission.

You may want to try zipping the file, emailing it, and have the recipient unzip
the file to get to the .xls file.

I use www.winzip.com, but there are a lot of free zip (and unzip) programs.

miyuki wrote:

I need to develop a MI report in excel. However, the version on my
computer is version 2003, but persons who are going to look at it only
have version 97. I've tried to create a test sheet on my computer and
requested my user, who's got version 97, to open it. As expected, he
was not able to open it.

Is there anyway I can create the report in 2003 but the file is to be
viewable in 97?

--
miyuki

--

Dave Peterson
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peterson

miyuki wrote:

I need to develop a MI report in excel. However, the version on my
computer is version 2003, but persons who are going to look at it only
have version 97. I've tried to create a test sheet on my computer and
requested my user, who's got version 97, to open it. As expected, he
was not able to open it.

Is there anyway I can create the report in 2003 but the file is to be
viewable in 97?

--
miyuki

--

Dave Peterson
Thanks everyone for the advices. I'll give it a go today.

Dave, just wondering. People in our office always have problem with the different versions, especially when using web query, formatting or some macro. Somethings always happen/not happen at all when you open it in version 97. Could this be that it is some settings in our computers which have caused it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I don't think you should be seeing errors opening the file. You may experience
errors if your workbook uses code that isn't supported by the earlier
version--but that doesn't mean the file won't open. I would expect the same for
formatting (although I don't recall any differences for formatting).

And I don't use queries enough to answer that portion.