Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default How do I stop decimal being placed in a 3 digit whole number

On a new spread sheet, every time I try to type a 3 digit whole number or
less (i.e. 2 digits) the cell records the number with a decimal placed after
the first number. How do I get the cell formated to accept whole numbers.
If I chekc the , between numbers and the number I use in 4 digits or longer I
do not have the problem. I have tried removing the decimal to 0.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Check out Tools | Options | Edit (tab) and look for Fixed Decimal
(about half-way down the panel) - you should ensure that this is
unchecked, otherwise every time you enter a number it will be treated
as having 2 decimal places (the default, which should be greyed out).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Jhawk wrote:
On a new spread sheet, every time I try to type a 3 digit whole number or
less (i.e. 2 digits) the cell records the number with a decimal placed after
the first number. How do I get the cell formated to accept whole numbers.
If I chekc the , between numbers and the number I use in 4 digits or longer I
do not have the problem. I have tried removing the decimal to 0.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Glad to help - thanks for feeding back.

The setting you had is useful if you have a lot of currency values to
enter, eg dollars and cents or pounds and pence and you don't want to
have to enter the decimal point each time - apart from that, it is
better to avoid it.

Pete

Jhawk wrote:
On a new spread sheet, every time I try to type a 3 digit whole number or
less (i.e. 2 digits) the cell records the number with a decimal placed after
the first number. How do I get the cell formated to accept whole numbers.
If I chekc the , between numbers and the number I use in 4 digits or longer I
do not have the problem. I have tried removing the decimal to 0.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

The strange part is...........all numbers should have the 2 decimal places.

You state that 4 digit numbers or longer entered correctly.

What's up with that?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP