Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jedi

Default how to input a 12 digit number into a cell

Hi i am pretty new to excel but here goes. The problem I am having is
when I try to input a 12 digit number into an excel cell i get
*1.03001E+11 *instead of 1*03000568221* 10 digits seem to go in ok. I
copy and paste this 12 digit number. any ideas what this can be thanks
in advance.

--
jedi
jedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35538

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mallycat

jedi Wrote:
1.03001E+11 instead of 1*03000568221* 11 digits seem to go in ok.

Select the cell
Select FORMAT\CELLS\NUMBER\CUSTOM

Type one 0

Click OK

Matt

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
VBA Noob

Hi Jedi.

Change the cell Format from General to zero (0) either by nymber fomat
or custom

VBA Noob

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jedi

Mallycat Wrote:
Select the cell
Select FORMAT\CELLS\NUMBER\CUSTOM

Type one 0

Click OK

Matttried what you said and still the same?

--
jedi
jedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mallycat

try widening the column

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jedi

Mallycat Wrote:
try widening the column

Tried that as well it just wont accept numbers over 11 digits long?

--
jedi
jedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

I would try entering a leading apostrophe to input the value as
TEXT..........then if it took it ok, convert it to a number if needed.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"jedi" wrote in message

Hi i am pretty new to excel but here goes. The problem I am having is
when I try to input a 12 digit number into an excel cell i get
*1.03001E+11 *instead of 1*03000568221* 10 digits seem to go in ok. I
copy and paste this 12 digit number. any ideas what this can be thanks
in advance.

--
jedi
jedi's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jedi

CLR Wrote:
I would try entering a leading apostrophe to input the value as
TEXT..........then if it took it ok, convert it to a number if needed.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"jedi" wrote in
message

Hi i am pretty new to excel but here goes. The problem I am having

is
when I try to input a 12 digit number into an excel cell i get
*1.03001E+11 *instead of 1*03000568221* 10 digits seem to go in ok.

copy and paste this 12 digit number. any ideas what this can be

thanks
in advance.

--
jedi

jedi's Profile:

View this thread:

Hi i put a commer infront of the digits and it now displays the whole
12 digit number with the commer however. This is better that what I had
thou, thats again

--
jedi
jedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jedi

CLR Wrote:
[...]

thou, thanks again

--
jedi
jedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

If you use a leading apostrophe instead, or pre-format the cell for TEXT,
then only your input characters would show in the cell and the
printout.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"jedi" wrote in message

CLR Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jedi

Just to update I copied and and did a paste special and choose text and
it went in ok? I`ll have to stick with that for now

--
jedi
jedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=553009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Nika Lampe

Hi jedi,

you can also have 12 (or more) digit number stored as number, so that you
can easily calculate with them if needed.
You just need to format cell by choosing Format - Cells. On Number tab
select Category "Custom" and in "type" type 12 zeros (for 12 digit number to
display). If you have also numbers with less digits, it is better to type the
following custom cell format: ###########0

# means display nothing if there is nothing
0 means display 0 if there is nothing (you get leading zeros if you have
less digits as defined in cell format)

Regards,
Nika Lampe