APT SA

Default "Unable to read file." Excel 2002

My user gets this message everytime she opens excel. She clicks OK it pops
up again, she clicks OK again and excel opens. She had installed some
program that has an excell addin. I unistalled this program and removed
addin, same thing. I have tried installing SP3 for office xp, same thing. I
tried unistalling office and reinstalling office and sp3. Same thing. It
was working fine and I am kind of stumped. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
APT SA

Using SysInternals Filemon. I found that excel was attempting to access a
blank text file in the xlstart directory. After removing this text file, I
do not get the error anymore.

"APT SA" wrote:

My user gets this message everytime she opens excel. She clicks OK it pops
up again, she clicks OK again and excel opens. She had installed some
program that has an excell addin. I unistalled this program and removed
addin, same thing. I have tried installing SP3 for office xp, same thing. I
tried unistalling office and reinstalling office and sp3. Same thing. It
was working fine and I am kind of stumped. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Gord Dibben

APT

The standard fixes for this problem.......

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:55:04 -0800, APT SA <APT
wrote:

My user gets this message everytime she opens excel. She clicks OK it pops
up again, she clicks OK again and excel opens. She had installed some
program that has an excell addin. I unistalled this program and removed
addin, same thing. I have tried installing SP3 for office xp, same thing. I
tried unistalling office and reinstalling office and sp3. Same thing. It
was working fine and I am kind of stumped. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Gord Dibben

APT

Thanks for posting back with your fix.