R.VENKATARAMAN

Default unable to read file

suddenly I am not be able to open one of my often used excel file.
when I click this file to open I get an error message
"unable to read file"

what could be the problem. I am regularly checking for antivirus though
old engine of mcaffe(updated weekly) and AVG free vesions (updated almost
daily).

is there any solution to retrieve the file.

JE McGimpsey

Is your file local or on a server? If the latter, are your permissions
set correctly?

The file may be corrupted. If so, XL02 and XL03 are better able to
handle corruption than previous versions. I've also had success opening
corrupted files with the free OpenOffice Calc:

http://openoffice.org

In article ,
"R.VENKATARAMAN" $$$ wrote:

suddenly I am not be able to open one of my often used excel file.
when I click this file to open I get an error message
"unable to read file"

what could be the problem. I am regularly checking for antivirus though
old engine of mcaffe(updated weekly) and AVG free vesions (updated almost
daily).

is there any solution to retrieve the file.

R.VENKATARAMAN

many thanks. my file is local- this is only computer.(home use).
I have already assumed that the file is corrputed and am trying to recreate
the file. what are the possible reasons for corruptions so that I can be
careful in future.
open office download is more than 64 MB

kind regards.
================

"R.VENKATARAMAN" $$$ wrote:

suddenly I am not be able to open one of my often used excel file.
when I click this file to open I get an error message
"unable to read file"

what could be the problem. I am regularly checking for antivirus

though
old engine of mcaffe(updated weekly) and AVG free vesions (updated

almost
daily).

is there any solution to retrieve the file.

MikeJohnB

I have the same error but my problem is caused by the auto recover in Excel
2003, what version of Excel you got? have you updated to 2003? I posted a
question as below weeks ago but no answer yet.

I have written this question once but it has gone, vanished somewhere.
However, I have written a large excell programme for monitoring key
performance information and report in chart form things like, scrap rates,
process delays, maintenance and quality reports of various kinds. The whole
programme runs in visual basic, the user can only press buttons and input
data, all else is automated. I took months to write this in code but the
pleasure of getting the thing working correctly made it worth it.

That was in Excel 2000, the company having upgraded to office 2003 now find
the eroor "Unable to Open File" at start up and the pivot tables are
destroyed when the programme eventually runs. I know that this is a known
issue with Excel 2003 and that it is something to do with auto save and
protect workbook commands.

My question is, is there a work round for this, a downloadable patch or
something or is there a good excel help site for this problem?????

Your urgent assistance would be much appreciated

Thanks, MikeB

post com