Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Full path possible to be seen?

Where to set Excell so the Excell window and file that I am working with
shows the full path (full path.xls) of where the folders are in the upper
left hand side line of the window?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Paste these into the Thisworkbook module

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName

Application.Caption = ""
End Sub

Alternative.....................

If you just want to toggle on/off...............

Sub CaptionToggle()
' toggles title bar between document name and full path
If ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name Then
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
Else: ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 17:19:16 -0400, "Octavio" wrote:

Where to set Excell so the Excell window and file that I am working with
shows the full path (full path.xls) of where the folders are in the upper
left hand side line of the window?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This seems very complicated! Is there not an easier simple way? Is this
newsgroup geared to "new users" or to advanced "gurus"?
I was wondering if a simple change of setting in Options or somewhere will
do the trick.

Paste these into the Thisworkbook module

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName

Application.Caption = ""
End Sub

Alternative.....................

If you just want to toggle on/off...............

Sub CaptionToggle()
' toggles title bar between document name and full path
If ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name Then
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
Else: ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 17:19:16 -0400, "Octavio" wrote:

Where to set Excell so the Excell window and file that I am working with
shows the full path (full path.xls) of where the folders are in the upper
left hand side line of the window?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Octavio

There is no option to change the Caption as you wish without using code.

I realize this is the newusers group and would like to give you an easier
solution, but.................not to be.

The question now is.........how badly do you want to see the full path in the
Title Bar?

Gord

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 18:00:30 -0400, "Octavio" wrote:

This seems very complicated! Is there not an easier simple way? Is this
newsgroup geared to "new users" or to advanced "gurus"?
I was wondering if a simple change of setting in Options or somewhere will
do the trick.

.. .
Paste these into the Thisworkbook module

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName

Application.Caption = ""
End Sub

Alternative.....................

If you just want to toggle on/off...............

Sub CaptionToggle()
' toggles title bar between document name and full path
If ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name Then
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
Else: ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.Name

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 17:19:16 -0400, "Octavio" wrote:

Where to set Excell so the Excell window and file that I am working with
shows the full path (full path.xls) of where the folders are in the upper
left hand side line of the window?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There isn't always a simple answer. Generally the answers given here are as
simple as can be and still solve the problem. If a setting will do it,
someone will point it out. But there isn't a setting for every situation.

If you need help getting the code into the workbook event, here's a page I
set up to give the detailed process of doing it. It has links to similar
pages telling how to set up to attach code to a worksheet's events and for
just general purpose code.

http://www.jlathamsite.com/Teach/WorkbookCode.htm

The folks here do a marvelous job of providing answers to what seem to be
'trivial' questions - but with difficult answers. Often they develop help
tools beyond what Microsoft has available and share them to help everyone,
novice, jaded user and guru alike.

"Octavio" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Right click in the toolbar and choose "Customize",
Click on "Commands " tab,
In the left window, scroll down to, and click on "Web",
In the right window, click on the "Address" bar, and drag to toolbar,
Or, drag to menu bar (usually more room there),
Then, while it's *still* selected, hover cursor over left or right border,
until it becomes a 2 headed arrow.
Drag to increase the size of the window, since paths may be rather long.
Close "Customize " window.

RD

wrote:

Where to set Excell so the Excell window and file that I am working

with
shows the full path (full path.xls) of where the folders are in the

upper
left hand side line of the window?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I take these things too literally<g

I thought OP asked for the path to be on the Title Bar so provided a method.

Your method will achieve the same effect, which is to see the full path.

Gord

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 01:57:27 -0700, "Ragdyer" wrote:

Right click in the toolbar and choose "Customize",
Click on "Commands " tab,
In the left window, scroll down to, and click on "Web",
In the right window, click on the "Address" bar, and drag to toolbar,
Or, drag to menu bar (usually more room there),
Then, while it's *still* selected, hover cursor over left or right border,
until it becomes a 2 headed arrow.
Drag to increase the size of the window, since paths may be rather long.
Close "Customize " window.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I have this on all my users machines, since we're on a LAN, and they're
taught to backup their files to their own C:\ drive, in addition to having
them written to the servers.

You'd be surprised how fast you forget exactly where you're at, after
working on a sheet for a while.

I think it was back in XL97 where you could "Save AS', and automatically be
directed to the "home" file.

RD

wrote:

Right click in the toolbar and choose "Customize",
Click on "Commands " tab,
In the left window, scroll down to, and click on "Web",
In the right window, click on the "Address" bar, and drag to toolbar,
Or, drag to menu bar (usually more room there),
Then, while it's *still* selected, hover cursor over left or right

border,
until it becomes a 2 headed arrow.
Drag to increase the size of the window, since paths may be rather long.
Close "Customize " window.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Personally, I like the way xl2k+ defaults to the folder where the original file
lives...

But Jim Rech posted this:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...188 ff2f81ee6

or

http://snipurl.com/kr74

That shows a way to modify the SaveAs behavior for all File|SaveAs.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One more...

You could use an application event that monitors when you change windows.

If you want to try:

You could use this in a new workbook (or add to your personal.xls file).

This goes under the ThisWorkbook module.

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents xlApp As Excel.Application
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Set xlApp = Application
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_Close()
Set xlApp = Nothing
End Sub
Private Sub xlApp_WindowActivate(ByVal Wb As Workbook, ByVal Wn As Window)
Wn.Caption = Wb.FullName
End Sub

If you save that workbook in your XLStart folder, then each time excel opens,
this workbook will open.

Octavio wrote:

Where to set Excell so the Excell window and file that I am working with
shows the full path (full path.xls) of where the folders are in the upper
left hand side line of the window?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Dave, but any mention of "Registry" makes me get the shakes!<bg

RD

Ragdyer wrote:

I have this on all my users machines, since we're on a LAN, and they're
taught to backup their files to their own C:\ drive, in addition to

having
them written to the servers.

You'd be surprised how fast you forget exactly where you're at, after
working on a sheet for a while.

I think it was back in XL97 where you could "Save AS', and automatically

be
directed to the "home" file.

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-