Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Will

Default Inserting Field To Insert Full Path to Excel File

Is there a field or function in Excel that would insert a full path to the
spreadsheet on the file system along with the name? For example:

\\ourserver\sharedfiles\some\directory\path\my-excel-spreadsheet.xls

You often get handed a printout of a spreadsheet, and it would really be
nice if the printed version of the spreadsheet had a way to reference its
own location so you could easily get back to it starting from the printed
version.

In Page Setup I see a way in the header to insert &File to get the filename
only, but that does not insert a full path.

--
Will

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
via135

hi

try this one!

in the cell you want to have the file name type

=cell("filename")

-via135

Will Wrote:
[...]

via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511289

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

xl2002 adds the ability to include the full path in the header/footers.

Before xl2002, you'll need some other solution.

Maybe John Walkenbach's addin:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/addpath.htm
to add the path in the header/footer

Will wrote:

Is there a field or function in Excel that would insert a full path to the
spreadsheet on the file system along with the name? For example:

\\ourserver\sharedfiles\some\directory\path\my-excel-spreadsheet.xls

You often get handed a printout of a spreadsheet, and it would really be
nice if the printed version of the spreadsheet had a way to reference its
own location so you could easily get back to it starting from the printed
version.

In Page Setup I see a way in the header to insert &File to get the filename
only, but that does not insert a full path.

--
Will

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you don't include a reference to a worksheet, then that formula will return
the name of the file/worksheet that is active when excel calculates.

It's usually better to use a formula like:
=cell("Filename",a1)
(a1 can be any cell)