Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gimp

Default to franz verga or any other (IF/OR) situation

i have posted on trying to get cell A1 to = a (*) based upon what ever
cell B1 says. thanks thru alls help i can. but trying to figure this
thing out has become more complicated that i thought. i wound up
realizing that the formula in A1 is limited. heres the situation. i do
employee scheduling for a company and the place is open 24/7. we can
not schedule anyone less than 3 hours, nor do we ever schedule anyone
over 9 hours. what i need is a formula that can take anything from mid
night to 9am that would read as 12am-9am in cell B1 and generate in
cell A1 a (*), as an example but in 1/2 hour incriments from 3 hours to
9 be it 3pm-9pm, 12pm-3pm,9am-12pm any variation from 12am-11:30pm to
generate a (*) if it says anything other to generate a blank cell.
there will be further questions as i develop. thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Franz Verga

Nel post oups.com
*gimp* ha scritto:

i have posted on trying to get cell A1 to = a (*) based upon what ever
cell B1 says. thanks thru alls help i can. but trying to figure this
thing out has become more complicated that i thought. i wound up
realizing that the formula in A1 is limited. heres the situation. i do
employee scheduling for a company and the place is open 24/7. we can
not schedule anyone less than 3 hours, nor do we ever schedule anyone
over 9 hours. what i need is a formula that can take anything from mid
night to 9am that would read as 12am-9am in cell B1 and generate in
cell A1 a (*), as an example but in 1/2 hour incriments from 3 hours
to 9 be it 3pm-9pm, 12pm-3pm,9am-12pm any variation from 12am-11:30pm
to generate a (*) if it says anything other to generate a blank cell.
there will be further questions as i develop. thanks in advance.

Maybe due to my poor English, but I don't understand what you mean.
It would be simpler if you could rpoduce a small example file of your
situation and desired goals and post it to www.savefile.com

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

I think this is none too clear.

Post some examples of what would go in B and what you want in A.

I assume you want this to happen as the value is entered in B?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gimp" wrote in message
oups.com...
i have posted on trying to get cell A1 to = a (*) based upon what ever
cell B1 says. thanks thru alls help i can. but trying to figure this
thing out has become more complicated that i thought. i wound up
realizing that the formula in A1 is limited. heres the situation. i do
employee scheduling for a company and the place is open 24/7. we can
not schedule anyone less than 3 hours, nor do we ever schedule anyone
over 9 hours. what i need is a formula that can take anything from mid
night to 9am that would read as 12am-9am in cell B1 and generate in
cell A1 a (*), as an example but in 1/2 hour incriments from 3 hours to
9 be it 3pm-9pm, 12pm-3pm,9am-12pm any variation from 12am-11:30pm to
generate a (*) if it says anything other to generate a blank cell.
there will be further questions as i develop. thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB

I think I see what you're asking. If the difference between the start time
and end time is between 3 and 9 hours and is in a half hour increment, you
want an "*" otherwise blank. I would put the start/end times in different
cells, not 9am - 12pm in one cell.

If your start time is in cell B1, end time is in C1 and they are formatted
as Date and Time (like 6/28/06 2:00 PM), try:
=IF(AND((C1-B1)*24=3,(C1-B1)*24<=9,ROUND(MOD((C1-B1)*24,0.5),2)=0),"*","")

If the start/end times are formatted as time (with no date such as 2:00 PM)
and you want to assume the end time is the next day if your times straddle
midnight (such as 9:00 PM to 12:30 AM the next day), I think this will work:
=IF(AND(((C1-B1)*24+(SIGN(C1-B1)<0)*24)=3,((C1-B1)*24+(SIGN(C1-B1)<0)*24)<=9,ROUND(MOD(((C1-B1)*24+(SIGN(C1-B1)<0)*24),0.5),2)=0),"*","")

Although there may be a more elegant solution - I don't work with times a lot.