Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Having trouble finding the right function

Hi, I am trying to get excell to auto fill a list of names onto a
spreadsheet, the only twist is that if the name is blank it need to move onto
the next available cell, what is the formula for this???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Corey

Try this:
B1=IF(A11,A1,"")
drag it down column B (if that's what you r using) or to suit.
Corey....

"g" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to get excell to auto fill a list of names onto a
spreadsheet, the only twist is that if the name is blank it need to move
onto
the next available cell, what is the formula for this???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

"g" wrote:
.. I am trying to get excell to auto fill a list of names onto a
spreadsheet, the only twist is that if the name is blank it need to move onto
the next available cell, what is the formula for this???

Here's a way to quickly fill in a defined range of names ..

Suppose we have a list of names in A1:A5 in Sheet1, say:

Name1
Name2
Name3
Name4
Name5

Select A1:A5,
then click inside the namebox*,
type: MyNames (say)
and press ENTER
*the box with the drop-arrow just to the left of the formula bar

The above creates a defined range: MyNames

Now, in any sheet,

To fill the list of names down a col,
just select a col range equal in size (say select B2:B6 in Sheet2)
put in the formula bar: =MyNames
then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(instead of just pressing ENTER)

B2:B6 will be populated with the names

To fill the list of names in a row,
select a horizontal range equal in size (say select C1:G1 in Sheet2)
put in the formula bar: =TRANSPOSE(MyNames)
then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(instead of just pressing ENTER)

C1:G1 will be populated with the names

To create, delete or to edit defined names,
click Insert Name Define (options are there)
(we can't use the namebox to delete/edit defined names)
--
Max
Singapore

numerical integration integreat Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 May 12th 06 02:40 AM
Custom function Christina L. Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 10th 06 06:38 PM
EXCEL2000 trouble with SUM function recalculating on new data ent huskybytes Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 10th 06 04:17 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM