Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Default Having trouble finding the right function

"g" wrote:
.. I am trying to get excell to auto fill a list of names onto a
spreadsheet, the only twist is that if the name is blank it need to move onto
the next available cell, what is the formula for this???

Here's a way to quickly fill in a defined range of names ..

Suppose we have a list of names in A1:A5 in Sheet1, say:

Name1
Name2
Name3
Name4
Name5

Select A1:A5,
then click inside the namebox*,
type: MyNames (say)
and press ENTER
*the box with the drop-arrow just to the left of the formula bar

The above creates a defined range: MyNames

Now, in any sheet,

To fill the list of names down a col,
just select a col range equal in size (say select B2:B6 in Sheet2)
put in the formula bar: =MyNames
then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(instead of just pressing ENTER)

B2:B6 will be populated with the names

To fill the list of names in a row,
select a horizontal range equal in size (say select C1:G1 in Sheet2)
put in the formula bar: =TRANSPOSE(MyNames)
then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(instead of just pressing ENTER)

C1:G1 will be populated with the names

To create, delete or to edit defined names,
click Insert Name Define (options are there)
(we can't use the namebox to delete/edit defined names)
--
Max
Singapore