Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
wwoody

Default I messed up and need help

I tried to change the folder that excell uses to another folder
and now when i open excell it cycles thru all my excell files
and opens them but withe different error msgs like
html import errors
problem came up in the folling areas during load
missing file
and no matter qwhen i click on "ok" or "cancel" it starts the recycle
again and i cannot get to any file.
then i get microsoft excel first pps file format is not valid
and file is not in recognizable format.
Can anybody explain how to get out of this and tell me how i can change
the folder for excel to use?

--
wwoody
wwoody's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17362

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

woody

Excel will try to open any files it finds in either the XLSTART folder or
"Alternate startup file location" or "at startup, open files in". This could
be the source of your 4 or 5 books opening.

Can you open Excel far enough to access ToolsOptionsGeneral and delete any
path in "Alternate startup file location"?

I would move any files from the XLSTART folder that aren't
Personal.xls, Book.xlt or Sheet.xlt.

Post back if you need more help with this. There are a couple of back-door
tricks if you can't get Excel open due to too many files trying to load.

Some of those are explained in this google search thread.

http://snipurl.com/pk8n

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:28:15 -0500, wwoody
wrote:

I tried to change the folder that excell uses to another folder
and now when i open excell it cycles thru all my excell files
and opens them but withe different error msgs like
html import errors
problem came up in the folling areas during load
missing file
and no matter qwhen i click on "ok" or "cancel" it starts the recycle
again and i cannot get to any file.
then i get microsoft excel first pps file format is not valid
and file is not in recognizable format.
Can anybody explain how to get out of this and tell me how i can change
the folder for excel to use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
wwoody

I tried that and cannot get to tools i seemed to be locked out of
everything also it seems to be almost all of my xls books are open.

--
wwoody
wwoody's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17362
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535285

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Check out the google search thread I provided the link to in my response.

Read my own and Dave P's posts.

Shows a couple of methods of resolution, including a Registry change.

The thread also reveals the extent of the degradation of an senior's memory<g

1. Move all files out of XLSTART folder.

2. If you cannot remember the alternate startup path or don't know how to find
the files contained therein, you should go with the Registry change route.

Gord