Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Alejandra

Default Mail Merge with Word

Hi,

I am trying to insert information (figures) contained in an Excel
worksheet into a Word letter (in the example I have 100 clients with
their monthy bill information and have to send out letter to every one
of them with his particular billing information). I did it with the
Word command Mail Merge withing TOOLS, inserted the fields and worked
pretty well. The only problem is that the figures appear in the Word
letter with 8 decimals, which of course looks very bad. I could not
manage to delete the decimals in the Excel spreadsheet, they are always
there, even if you format the cell, as a number with cero decimals or if
you customize the cell with cero decimals. They don't disappear.(This
happens in Excel 2000 and 2003)

What can I do to insert figures without decimals into a Word letter?
I hope you can help me.:)
Alejandra

--
Alejandra
Alejandra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31933

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question about formatting
dates/decimals.

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

Alejandra wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
PA

The portion of the article referenced by Dave,
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx
that will most likely solve you problem is the discussion of DDE.
We stumbled upon this when we first went to Office 2002 from Office 97.
Microsoft changed the default data transfer protocol from DDE to OLBDB and
it is turns out to not be as versatile.
The MS Word guru's will encourage you to use format switches in you merge
fields, but this is far more work intensive than one check box in a Word
Options screen, that will cure MOST but not all Mail Merge difficulties.