Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Grd

Default Convert names into initial caps

Hi there,

I have a column of names like SANDRA, JIM that I would like to convert to
Sandra, Jim etc but I don't know how to do it and there are 3500 of them.

Is there anyway to do this without retyping them?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Connie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Chip Pearson

Insert a column next to your data. In that column, enter the
formula

=PROPER(A1)

and copy down as far as you need to go. Then, select those cells,
copy them, select the first original cell, go to the Edit menu,
choose Paste Special, and choose the Values option.

You could also use a VBA macro.

Sub AAA()
Dim Rng As Range
For Each Rng In Application.Intersect(Columns(1), _
ActiveSheet.UsedRange).Cells
Rng.Value = StrConv(Rng.Text, vbProperCase)
Next Rng
End Sub

Here, change Columns(1) to the appropriate column number.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Grd" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a column of names like SANDRA, JIM that I would like to
convert to
Sandra, Jim etc but I don't know how to do it and there are
3500 of them.

Is there anyway to do this without retyping them?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

If your data is in column A, then in B1 (or any other spare column on
the sheet) enter
=Proper(A1)
Copy down as far as required.
Mark the range of cells in the column where you have put the formula,
which are now in Proper Form, move cursor to cell A1 and Paste
SpecialValues
You can then delete the helper column.

--
Regards