Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Irina

Default how to see the whole text in merged cells?

I have a text which i need to put in a cell. As the text is pretty big i
merged few cells (in one collumn) and used "wrap text". However starting
from 1522 symbol (i checked it using different texts) the text is not seen in
a cell, only in "function" bar. More, if i use "alt+enter" one more line can
be seen, the rest not, and so on, actually using "alt+enter" after every word
will allow me to see the whole text in merged cell, but that not the best way
out i think.
What is the problem??? Plz help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

If you add those alt-enters every 80-100 characters, does that help you see
more?

Not quite as bad as after each word, but not very nice, either.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Karen

Hi Irina,

In addition to Dave's suggestion, I'm also wondering if this huge
quantity of text data could perhaps also be displayed in your Excel
document imported as a 'Word' table, versus trying to fit all of the
text into one Excel cell, especially if you aren't needing to work with
any formulas within the text itself.

You can link the data from Word so that any changes you make to the
Word document will also reflect in your Excel document. (Plus then you
wouldn't necessarily have to re-adjust the alt-enter each time you need
to make changes to the text itself.)

I guess it depends on the layout that you need and how you want the
text data to show in your spreadsheet, but as a quick workaround, I
might also consider importing it as a Word table object.

Just a thought! :)

Let us know how you make out! This sounds like quite a challenge and
one that I'm also very interested in hearing the workaround for.

Karen

P.S. I didn't know that Excel cells had limited ability to display
text. (I use the 2003 version and am also learning more and more each
day! Like you, I thought it was unlimited as long as the wrapping
feature was used.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Irina

Thank you guys, I will try to use your suggestions :) I just don't get how
come the whole text can be seen if "alt+enter" is used (it might be that i
will have to use it 10'000 times, but the idea works, i just need to merge
cells from time to time) and only part is seen with "wrap text". It means
that the problems is not in cell limitations (like "Length of cell contents
(text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in
the formula bar.").
Can it be some kind of mistake from developers side?
p.s. after all 1052 symblos for merged cells is not a huge quantity.