Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
la90292

Default HOW TO VIEW SPECIFIC COLUMNS for A CALL LIST?

I want to create a telephone call list from my customer list. I only want to
view the records with the data in these columns only; CODE (A7), ACCOUNT
(B7), BUYER (C7), ADDRESS (D7), CITY (E7), ST (F7), ZIP (G7), TEL (H8), FAX
(J8), NOTES (M8). For instance, I do not need the EMAIL column on my call
list.

I would like new list with the columns as follows sorted by ST, CITY, ZIP,
ACCOUNT:
CODE, ACCOUNT, BUYER, TEL, ADDRESS, CITY, ST, ZIP, TEL, FAX, NOTES

Is there a faster/better way to do this rather than cut and paste each time?

Thanks,
victor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
flummi

It seems that the best way is to use autofilter.

Highlight the column headers (CODE, ACCOUNT etc) that you want to work
on (Alternatively highlight all headers). Then select from the main
menu data--autofilter. That will display little arrows next to each
header.

If you click on such an arrow Excel pops up a little listbox with all
the entries in that column (unique and sorted) plus a couple of extra
options. One is "nonblanks". Choose that and Excel will only show lines
where that column has an entries. If you continue to do that on other
columns you constantly narrow down your selection because from the
subset mentioned above it will only show the ones that meet the second
selection etc. You can sort that selection by highlighting the lines
displayed (by clicking on the row headers).

If you want to display the full set again, the quickest way is to
select the headers and select data--autofilter which will turn off
autofilter. You can then start all over as described above.

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

One way
Create another sheet. Assuming this data is on Sheet1, then on Sheet2

A7=Sheet1!B7 B7=Sheet1!A7 C7=Sheet1!C7
D7=Sheet1!H8 E7=Sheet1!D7 and so on
Then, mark the range of data on Sheet 2 and Sort by Column H, then
column G then Column I
If you do put these in Row 7 (I only chose that as that was the row in
Sheet1), put a series of headers in Row 6.
Mark the range of row 6 and DataFilterAutofilter
Use the dropdown to select any given Account, or any Zip etc.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"la90292" wrote in message
m...
I want to create a telephone call list from my customer list. I only
want to view the records with the data in these columns only; CODE
(A7), ACCOUNT (B7), BUYER (C7), ADDRESS (D7), CITY (E7), ST (F7), ZIP
(G7), TEL (H8), FAX (J8), NOTES (M8). For instance, I do not need the
EMAIL column on my call list.

I would like new list with the columns as follows sorted by ST, CITY,
ZIP, ACCOUNT:
CODE, ACCOUNT, BUYER, TEL, ADDRESS, CITY, ST, ZIP, TEL, FAX, NOTES

Is there a faster/better way to do this rather than cut and paste each
time?

Thanks,
victor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

Columns can be hidden by highliighting them and doing Right-click
Hide.......... Then, insert a new row as row 1, then number the rows in the
order you wish them to be from left to right.......then you can sort
Horizontally by doing Data Sort Options and checking the Sort Left to
Right option............then delete row 1 if desired............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"la90292" wrote:

I want to create a telephone call list from my customer list. I only want to
view the records with the data in these columns only; CODE (A7), ACCOUNT
(B7), BUYER (C7), ADDRESS (D7), CITY (E7), ST (F7), ZIP (G7), TEL (H8), FAX
(J8), NOTES (M8). For instance, I do not need the EMAIL column on my call
list.

I would like new list with the columns as follows sorted by ST, CITY, ZIP,
ACCOUNT:
CODE, ACCOUNT, BUYER, TEL, ADDRESS, CITY, ST, ZIP, TEL, FAX, NOTES

Is there a faster/better way to do this rather than cut and paste each time?

Thanks,
victor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
la90292

Thanks for all the suggestions...genius!

One more question, how do you unhide the columns that you hide?

Thanks again!

victor

"la90292" wrote:

I want to create a telephone call list from my customer list. I only

want to
view the records with the data in these columns only; CODE (A7), ACCOUNT
(B7), BUYER (C7), ADDRESS (D7), CITY (E7), ST (F7), ZIP (G7), TEL (H8),

FAX
(J8), NOTES (M8). For instance, I do not need the EMAIL column on my

call
list.

I would like new list with the columns as follows sorted by ST, CITY,

ZIP,
ACCOUNT:
CODE, ACCOUNT, BUYER, TEL, ADDRESS, CITY, ST, ZIP, TEL, FAX, NOTES

Is there a faster/better way to do this rather than cut and paste each

time?

Thanks,
victor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Pete

Highlight the columns either side of those that are hidden and click
Format | Column | Unhide.

Hope this helps.

Pete