Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Alan

Default Seniors Need Help! Help Retrieve Deleted Excel Document

Hello All,

My wifeand I are seniors and we unfortunately deleted a very important Excel
document, a spreadsheet.

We have found software programs that will restore the document, but cannot
afford the $50 for just the one document.

Is there an easier and less expensive way to retrieve this document?

Please help!

Loretta and Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Chip Pearson

Have you emptied the Recycle Bin? If not, you'll find your
document there. Double-click on the Recycle Bin to open it. If
you see your document there, right-click it and choose Restore.
It will be moved back to its original location.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Alan" wrote in message
Hello All,

My wifeand I are seniors and we unfortunately deleted a very
important Excel
document, a spreadsheet.

We have found software programs that will restore the document,
but cannot
afford the $50 for just the one document.

Is there an easier and less expensive way to retrieve this
document?

Please help!

Loretta and Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
George King

Look in the Recycle Bin.

You should have a Recycle Bin icon on your desktop (assuming you have
Windows XP or Wondows 2000).
Double click on the Recycle Bin icon and select your file from the list,
then click Recover.

--
George

"Alan" wrote:

Hello All,

My wifeand I are seniors and we unfortunately deleted a very important Excel
document, a spreadsheet.

We have found software programs that will restore the document, but cannot
afford the $50 for just the one document.

Is there an easier and less expensive way to retrieve this document?

Please help!

Loretta and Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Alan

Hi Chip & George,

Thank you so much for the prompt response; we still have the same problem,
though.

We already emptied the recycle bin last week [not thinking!] and now, the
problem of the lost document remains.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Loretta & Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B

Alan, have you sent the file to anybody? if so there may be a copy in your
e-mail program, you say that you are seniors, in school or age? If this was
a file at school check with the IT person and see if there servers make a
backup of the files on it.you say that you emptied the recycle bin last
week, if that is the case I think the chances of retrieving the file are
very small, the data has most likely been overwritten on the hard drive by
now. You have probably looked but there is an option in excel to always save
a backup, if this option was on the backup will have the original file
name and the suffix .xlk. It will be in the same folder as the original.
May be to late this time but ALWAYS back up your data on some kind of
removable disk or drive.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi Chip & George,

Thank you so much for the prompt response; we still have the same problem,
though.

We already emptied the recycle bin last week [not thinking!] and now, the
problem of the lost document remains.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Loretta & Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Alan

Hi Paul,

No we have not sent the spreadsheet to anyone. We are seniors as in
"retired". As I said in my previous, there is a software program that we
downloaded that did retrieve the "deleted" spreadsheet! The program, "XLS
Regenerator" does not permit you to do anything but look at the document on
your monitor screen! In order to save the restored program and use it once
again, we must download the complete program.

That costs $50.00 which we currently do not not have at our disposal to
purchase. We were just wondering if there was another was to get around this
problem...

Oh well, its not the end of the world! Many thanks to all who responded for
all of your time and help!

Loretta and Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Alan

If you can get the data to the screen with this program, you could try
using the Alt+Prt Scr button to capture an image of the screen.
(The software people may have disabled this, but its worth a try).
You could then paste that picture into Excel, and at least you would be
able to see the data, although you would not be able to use it.
Of course, with the data visible, you could then re-create a copy of
your original sheet.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ken Wright

Try PC Inspector, which is a free recovery program:-

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Hi Alan,
I always at least try to delete so that things do not go into
the Recyle bin, so I might not even think to look there, but
that is the first place to look per Chip's suggestion.

It is important to maintain backup files
Backup, backup, backup, always backup your files
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

There are programs that may be able restore a deleted file, some
are free, some are not. When you delete a file you can't really
expect much, at least act surprised if you actually do retrieve your file.
I have retrieved one deleted file on my HD and I was surprised.
though you would have better results if you deleted
from a dedicated device that you have not written to since.
Like I have retrieved many files off of CompactFlash card (camera) which is
not surprising because nothing was done to it after accidentally deleting,
there are no files created (no temporary, no permanent files). Not that
simple on a hard drive.
Related Information -- File Recovery (#relFileRecovery)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...elFileRecovery
particularly the links to LockerGnome. Used to be that recovery of
NTFS files was difficult to get free recovery, but I think those are
covered as well. FAT is the easiest to recover.

--
---
HTH,