Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
cheycheys

Default How do I make a address book for mailing labels

I just got my new computer XP from Dell and it has Microsoft Word and Excel
and Outlook. I prefer to use my Outlook Express for my email. What I have
been trying to figure out is how to make an address book. Not an email one
but an address book with names and address's so I can make labels for return
address's and labels to send out Christmas cards. Can someone please show me
how to do this, I am going nuts trying to figure it out! I'm not sure if I
should be trying to do this in Excel or Word. I do know I don't want to use
Outlook for anything at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

You could use Excel as a database where you store the addresses and Word to
print them

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"cheycheys" wrote in message
I just got my new computer XP from Dell and it has Microsoft Word and
Excel
and Outlook. I prefer to use my Outlook Express for my email. What I
have
been trying to figure out is how to make an address book. Not an email
one
but an address book with names and address's so I can make labels for
return
address's and labels to send out Christmas cards. Can someone please show
me
how to do this, I am going nuts trying to figure it out! I'm not sure if
should be trying to do this in Excel or Word. I do know I don't want to
use
Outlook for anything at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

If you have the information already in your windows address book which
is used by Outlook Express and by Outlook you can export
File, Export, Other Address Book, text csv file
and open in Excel, you can move columns around with Shift+Drag selection boundary
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...and.htm#cursor

To go the other way, you want to take a file created in Excel and import it to your
WAB, but it may be a little tricky and you definitely need to backup what you have first.
Then export the WAB to a spreadsheet to get the format (columns/titles, etc) correct,
so you have the correct information set up to inport to the WAB.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ofc2000.htm .

And you already have links for creating mailing labels with Excel as the database.

If you have nothing to start with -- I would make the spreadsheet have (if mostly US)
phoneno, lastname, firstname, address, ST, zip+4, email
you would have to match the titles as exported by WAB, if you are going to import into WAB,
and possible change the order and add a column so that the generated CSV file ends with
a comma on each line. .

HTH,

"cheycheys" wrote in message
I just got my new computer XP from Dell and it has Microsoft Word and
Excel
and Outlook. I prefer to use my Outlook Express for my email. What I
have
been trying to figure out is how to make an address book. Not an email
one
but an address book with names and address's so I can make labels for
return
address's and labels to send out Christmas cards. Can someone please show
me
how to do this, I am going nuts trying to figure it out! I'm not sure if
should be trying to do this in Excel or Word. I do know I don't want to
use
Outlook for anything at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
paul

mailmerge in word using excel as your source
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"cheycheys" wrote in message
I just got my new computer XP from Dell and it has Microsoft Word and
Excel
and Outlook. I prefer to use my Outlook Express for my email. What I
have
been trying to figure out is how to make an address book. Not an email
one
but an address book with names and address's so I can make labels for
return
address's and labels to send out Christmas cards. Can someone please show
me
how to do this, I am going nuts trying to figure it out! I'm not sure if
should be trying to do this in Excel or Word. I do know I don't want to
use
Outlook for anything at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Hi Paul,
FWIW, Peo already not only already said that but provided links on how to do the mail merge.
BTW, one of the links two links Peo supplied was one of mine.

Since an address book was mentioned, I added information on use of address
book to supply Excel data with an export, or from Excel to the address book
just in case that would be of interest, particularly because the address book was mentioned.

Since we are reiterating what has already been mentioned, I will repeat that anything
involving the windows address book must be preceded by backing it up.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
cheycheys

Thanks for all the replies. It all looks like greek to me since I am a
beginner but I will try to follow the instructions. All I want to do is make
address's and it looks really complicated, I wouldn't think it would have to
be. Any chance anyone knows of a free program that would be easier then
this, would be great? Otherwise I will sit down and try to figure this one
out. Thanks for sending the instructions for me to follow, that will help a
lot.

Cheycheys

"cheycheys" wrote in message
I just got my new computer XP from Dell and it has Microsoft Word and
Excel
and Outlook. I prefer to use my Outlook Express for my email. What I
have
been trying to figure out is how to make an address book. Not an email
one
but an address book with names and address's so I can make labels for
return
address's and labels to send out Christmas cards. Can someone please show
me
how to do this, I am going nuts trying to figure it out! I'm not sure if
should be trying to do this in Excel or Word. I do know I don't want to
use
Outlook for anything at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Realstar

I had a similar problem and found a "translator" on the Mircosoft site free.
It really helped me get things a little straighter in the XP Outlook address
book. But you might find Outlook is a much better email program than Outlook
Express because it allows many more options and is easier for others to view
links and attachments..