Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming
KevinGPO

Default HELP: Dir() time-out woes :( .....

When I call the function Dir("Q:\") and Q:\ is a network mapped drive does
it fail (return "") if it does not receive a reply within a certain
time-limit? The reason why I ask is because the update response from a
network mapped drive is very slow here. If the slow response causes
Dir("Q:\") function to return "" then how can I make it longer time-out?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming
KevinGPO

Default Dir() time-out woes :( .....

What is the best way to test whether a drive exists? Sometimes the Dir("C:")
returns "" even when the drive is completely valid.

Maybe I should do ChDrive then test Err.Number. Then ChDir then test
Err.Number???

"KevinGPO" wrote in message
When I call the function Dir("Q:\") and Q:\ is a network mapped drive does
it fail (return "") if it does not receive a reply within a certain
time-limit? The reason why I ask is because the update response from a
network mapped drive is very slow here. If the slow response causes
Dir("Q:\") function to return "" then how can I make it longer time-out?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy

The first article is for visual basic (the language), but is easily
adaptable to VBA.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291573/en-us
How To Use Visual Basic to List Active Logical Drives

This is a general sample file for the Filesystem object found in the
Scripting runtime and available for your use by creating a reference to it
in the VBA in tools=references or by using late binding:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190882/en-us
SAMPLE: FSOSAMP.EXE Application Uses the FileSystem Object

Tom Ogilvy