Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
ericsayang

Default How do I group multiple lines of excel info for easy sorting

I am putting a correspondence review in a big project. There are 7 columns:
Date, Form, From, To, , Comments, Pages. Information in some of the
columns contain multiple lines. What I want to do is, I want to put the
information in and finally sort them according to dates. How do I group all
information for a specific correspondence so that when I sort all information
will be attached to the date. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
ufo_pilot

Seems like you have the date in the first column.
If not, it should be
Then select all cells: A2:G100
assuming your first date entry starts in A2 and is 100 rows down by 7
columns wide)
select the "sort -Ascending or Descending- icon" on the toolbar ( A over
Z with an arrow to it's right).
HTH

"ericsayang" wrote:

I am putting a correspondence review in a big project. There are 7 columns:
Date, Form, From, To, , Comments, Pages. Information in some of the
columns contain multiple lines. What I want to do is, I want to put the
information in and finally sort them according to dates. How do I group all
information for a specific correspondence so that when I sort all information
will be attached to the date. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

The only way to keep a set of data like this together is to have one column that
contains data common to all rows in that set.
Col A ColB

Date1 data3
data2
data1
Date2 data5
data4
data6

These rows will not stay together when sorted by date.

You must enter the date on each row and sort by that column

Date1 data3
Date1 data2
Date1 data1
Date2 data5
Date2 data4
Date2 data6

To fill in the blank dates, select column A and F5SpecialBlanksOK

In active blank cell enter an = sign then point to the cell above and CTRL +
ENTER to fill down.

CopyPaste Special(in place)ValuesOKEsc to get rid of formulas.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP