Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
telewats

Default Can't find formula for largest value in multiple cells

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that pulls data from another
spreadsheet in the same file as well as data from other files. In the
attached spreadsheets, I have fields that find the largest value based
on dates entered in multiple cells (ie. In my first spreadsheet, I have
formulas to find the largest date on that page (=largest(xx:xx), and on
my 'master' spreadsheet, I want to find the largest date from the
formulas I just mentioned). The problem I'm finding is that excel won't
let me include more than two cells in my last formula. It tells me I'm
entering too much data. Can someone tell me how to do this?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30270

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

=LARGE(A1:C50,1)
or
=MAX(A1:C50)

Either formula will return the largest value from the range of A1 through
C50............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"telewats" wrote:

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that pulls data from another
spreadsheet in the same file as well as data from other files. In the
attached spreadsheets, I have fields that find the largest value based
on dates entered in multiple cells (ie. In my first spreadsheet, I have
formulas to find the largest date on that page (=largest(xx:xx), and on
my 'master' spreadsheet, I want to find the largest date from the
formulas I just mentioned). The problem I'm finding is that excel won't
let me include more than two cells in my last formula. It tells me I'm
entering too much data. Can someone tell me how to do this?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30270
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499387

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
telewats

This is good to know. Thanks for the info.

What if I want to use cells that aren't in conjunction with one
another, ie. B12 & B40 & B65? Or if I want to pull data from multiple
spreadsheets?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30270
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499387

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

=MAX(B12,B40,B65)
=MAX(Sheet1!B12,Sheet2!B40,Sheet3!B65)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"telewats" wrote:

This is good to know. Thanks for the info.

What if I want to use cells that aren't in conjunction with one
another, ie. B12 & B40 & B65? Or if I want to pull data from multiple
spreadsheets?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30270
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499387

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme

Click on B12; hold CTRL, click on B40 then on B65; type mydata in Name box
and pres ENTER
Use =MAX(mydata) or LARGE(mydata,1) ---- you can also use LARGE(mydata,2)
for next largest

Multiple sheets: MAX(MAX(Sheet1!A1:A10), MAX(Sheet2!B2:B20)
Or expand on the name method
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"telewats" wrote in
message ...

This is good to know. Thanks for the info.

What if I want to use cells that aren't in conjunction with one
another, ie. B12 & B40 & B65? Or if I want to pull data from multiple
spreadsheets?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: