Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
bombayterror

Default fraction getting convered into date

I have been working a spreadsheet and I just noticed that in one of my
rows which has fractions in it (for example, 08/1, 11/1, 12/1) a few of
the cells have been converted into a date.

Like, 8/1 is now 8/1/2006 and in the cell it comes up as 1-Aug, 11/1 is
now 11/1/2006 and in thje cell it comes up as 1-Nov

Fractions that are higher than 12 like 14/1 and 15/1 are still the
same, I am guessing this is because we don't have a 14th or a 15th
month in a year

I tried to reformat these sells to a number but that did not help. All
it did was that It solved the date i.e. 11/1/2006 turns into 30922.00

Is there any way in excel where my fractions won't turn into dates or
get solved?

thanks

--
bombayterror
bombayterror's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22855

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

Select the cells and pull-down:

Format Cells.. Fraction and enter up to two digits (at least) before
entering information into the cells.
--
Gary's Student

"bombayterror" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
bombayterror

yup that worked. Thanks a lot.

Had one more question.

I have a column of numbers which are percentages
1%
2%
3%
4%
and so on

is there a way to format this column as a number so that I can
eliminate the % sign without converting the %age into a decimal form?

--
bombayterror
bombayterror's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22855
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499194

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Barb Reinhardt

Format - Cells - Number tab -Category Number - Choose the # of decimal
places you want to use.
"bombayterror"
wrote in message
news:bombayterror.21c28b_1136752502.2606@excelforu m-nospam.com...

yup that worked. Thanks a lot.

Had one more question.

I have a column of numbers which are percentages
1%
2%
3%
4%
and so on

is there a way to format this column as a number so that I can
eliminate the % sign without converting the %age into a decimal form?

--
bombayterror
bombayterror's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499194