Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jmcclain

Default Need additoinal symbols for fractions

Does anyone know where to find additional symbols for fractions? I need ones
for 16th, 8th etc beyond what I find in the insert symbol function.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Have you tried a custom format of ??/?? before entering the fraction?

--

HTH

RP

"jmcclain" wrote in message
Does anyone know where to find additional symbols for fractions? I need

ones
for 16th, 8th etc beyond what I find in the insert symbol function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Select the cells
Goto FormatCellsCustom
Enter that format of ?/??
OK

Then type a fraction, like 3/16 in the cell.

--

HTH

RP

"jmcclain" wrote in message
Does anyone know where to find additional symbols for fractions? I

need
ones
for 16th, 8th etc beyond what I find in the insert symbol function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wjohnson

The following came from the EXCEL HELP menu - just type "FRACTION" in
the seach area of the HELP Menu

Use the Fraction format to display or type numbers as actual fractions,
rather than decimals.

On the Format menu, click Cells.
On the Number tab, click Fraction in the Category list.
In the Type list, click the fraction format type that you want to use.
Available fraction formats

Fraction format This format displays 123.456 as
Single-digit fraction 123 1/2, rounding to the nearest single-digit
fraction value
Double-digit fraction 123 26/57, rounding to the nearest double-digit
fraction value
Triple-digit fraction 123 57/125, rounding to the nearest triple-digit
fraction value
Fraction as halves 123 1/2
Fraction as quarters 123 2/4
Fraction as eighths 123 4/8
Fraction as sixteenths 123 7/16
Fraction as tenths 123 5/10
Fraction as hundredths 123 46/100

Notes

After you apply a fraction format to a cell, decimal numbers as well as
actual fractions that you type in that cell will be displayed as a
fraction. For example, typing .5 or 1/2 results in 1/2 when the cell
has been formatted with a fraction type of Up to one digit.
If no fraction format is applied to a cell, and you type a fraction
such as 1/2, it will be formatted as a date. To display it as a
fraction, apply a Fraction format, and then retype the fraction.
If you don't need to perform calculations on fractions, you can format
a cell as Text before you type a fraction into it (Format menu, Cells
command, Number tab). This way, the fractions that you type will not be
reduced or converted to decimals. However, you cannot perform
mathematical calculations on fractions that are displayed as text.
To reset the number format of a selected cell or range, click General
in the Category list. Cells that are formatted with the General format
have no specific number format.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640