Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
teastman

Default Adding Date/Time fields

12/31/05 - 08 Hrs 10 Mins
01/01/06 - 01 Hrs 00 Mins

How do I add these two fields ? I don't need the date, just adding the
times.

--
teastman
teastman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30030

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

Assume they are in A1:A2 and the format is always the same with spaces, Hrs,
Mins and -

=SUMPRODUCT(--SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1:A2,FIND("-",A1:A2)+2,255),"Mins",""),"Hrs",":"))

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"teastman" wrote in
message ...

12/31/05 - 08 Hrs 10 Mins
01/01/06 - 01 Hrs 00 Mins

How do I add these two fields ? I don't need the date, just adding the
times.

--
teastman
teastman's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

In A1 and A2 put:
12/31/2005 8:10
1/1/2006 1:00

in A3 put:
=(A1-INT(A1))+(A2-INT(A2)) and format as time 13:30 and you will see:

9:10

--
Gary''s Student

"teastman" wrote:

12/31/05 - 08 Hrs 10 Mins
01/01/06 - 01 Hrs 00 Mins

How do I add these two fields ? I don't need the date, just adding the
times.

--
teastman
teastman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30030
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
teastman

Gary's student, your solution works fine. But if I add more and more
records to add... how do I do a totalled range. For example adding all
columns from a1 to a20.

--
teastman
teastman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30030
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

1 You really don't need to use INT since it is an extra step, you can use
MOD instead like in

=SUMPRODUCT(MOD(A1:A20,1))

make sure the cell with the formula is formatted as [hh]:mm or else it will
not display times over 24 hours

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"teastman" wrote in
message ...

Gary's student, your solution works fine. But if I add more and more
records to add... how do I do a totalled range. For example adding all
columns from a1 to a20.

--
teastman
teastman's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Assuming they are actually Excel datetime fields.
B2 is the start time
C2 is the finish time

If you just have the time component without the date
=C2-B2-b2+(B2C2)

If you have the date and time (timestamp)
=C2-B2

More information on Date & Time
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm

---
HTH,

"teastman" wrote in message

12/31/05 - 08 Hrs 10 Mins
01/01/06 - 01 Hrs 00 Mins

How do I add these two fields ? I don't need the date, just adding the
times.

--
teastman
teastman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30030
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497168

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

and format the result as time it that is not how you see it.