Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
WmBrown

Default Adding Amounts

I am looking for a fomula or the method to add the total from a
particular cell in 5 sheets and enter it in a paticular cell on a 6th sheet.

I obtained a total on each sheet by =sum(A1:G1)and entered it in H1
Now I want to add H1 on the 5 separate sheets to give a total in a cell
on the 6th sheet.

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Barb Reinhardt

Try this (from EXCEL help)

Refer to the same cell or range on multiple sheets

A reference that refers to the same cell or range (range: Two or more cells on a sheet. The cells in a range can be adjacent or nonadjacent.) on multiple sheets is called a 3-D reference (3-D reference: A reference to a range that spans two or more worksheets in a workbook.).

1.. Click the cell where you want to enter the function.
2.. Type = (equal sign), enter the name of the function, and then type an opening parenthesis.
Functions that can be used in a 3-D reference

SUM - adds numbers

AVERAGE - calculates average (arithmetic mean) of numbers

AVERAGEA - calculates average (arithmetic mean) of numbers; includes text and logicals

COUNT - counts cells that contain numbers

COUNTA - counts cells that are not empty

MAX - finds largest value in a set of values

MAXA - finds largest value in a set of values; includes text and logicals

MIN - finds smallest value in a set of values

MINA - finds smallest value in a set of values; includes text and logicals

PRODUCT - multiplies numbers

STDEV - calculates standard deviation based on a sample

STDEVA - calculates standard deviation based on a sample; includes text and logicals

STDEVP - calculates standard deviation of an entire population

STDEVPA - calculates standard deviation of an entire population; includes text and logicals

VAR - estimates variance based on a sample

VARA - estimates variance based on a sample; includes text and logicals

VARP - calculates variance for an entire population

VARPA - calculates variance for an entire population; includes text and logicals

3.. Click the tab for the first worksheet to be referenced.
4.. Hold down SHIFT and click the tab for the last worksheet to be referenced.
5.. Select the cell or range of cells to be referenced.
6.. Complete the formula, and press ENTER.

"WmBrown" wrote in message ...
I am looking for a fomula or the method to add the total from a
particular cell in 5 sheets and enter it in a paticular cell on a 6th sheet.

I obtained a total on each sheet by =sum(A1:G1)and entered it in H1
Now I want to add H1 on the 5 separate sheets to give a total in a cell
on the 6th sheet.

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jacob_F_Roecker

There's another technique that can work also.

Go to the cell that you want to have be the total total. (yeah it's late
here)

type in =sum(

Then select your 1st sheet and the cell that you want. I believe you said H1.

=sum(sheet1!h1,

Once you've selected that sheet, and that cell, type a , and go to your next
one. Then do another , until you're done selecting all the cells you want
totaled across all the sheets.

There's more to tell you but I'm having trouble conjugating my thoughts let
alone verbalizing my type.

I hope this much helps

"WmBrown" wrote:

I am looking for a fomula or the method to add the total from a
particular cell in 5 sheets and enter it in a paticular cell on a 6th sheet.

I obtained a total on each sheet by =sum(A1:G1)and entered it in H1
Now I want to add H1 on the 5 separate sheets to give a total in a cell
on the 6th sheet.

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
WmBrown

"WmBrown" wrote:

I am looking for a fomula or the method to add the total from a
particular cell in 5 sheets and enter it in a paticular cell on a 6th sheet.

I obtained a total on each sheet by =sum(A1:G1)and entered it in H1
Now I want to add H1 on the 5 separate sheets to give a total in a cell
on the 6th sheet.

Thanks for any help

It may be late but you are both right on, so thank you for the help. As
you can see, very new at this.