Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave

Default How Do I have excel count 2 cells with conditions (Excel 2003)

2 columns (F & G) with several rows. Column €œF€ includes 7 code letters (C,E,
J, and etc.) for coding. Column G has only 2 codes. Either €œM€ or €œF€. I want
to show in a total box all the €œJ€ €œM€s in one cell (H36) and show all
total of €œJ€; €œF€s (H37) in another separate total cell discounting all
other codes C,E and etc from Column €œF€.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gilles Desjardins

Enter this in H37 and change the letter F for M in H36. I did this with the
conditional sum wizard. Therefore you need a title above each column.
=SUM(IF($F$4:$F$35="J",IF($G$4:$G$35="F",1,0),0)) entered as an array
formula should work.
Use the following keys to create the array formula Ctrl+Shft+Enter

HTH

Gilles

"Dave" wrote in message
2 columns (F & G) with several rows. Column "F" includes 7 code letters
(C,E,
J, and etc.) for coding. Column G has only 2 codes. Either "M" or "F". I
want
to show in a total box all the "J" "M"'s in one cell (H36) and show all
total of "J"; "F"'s (H37) in another separate total cell discounting all
other codes C,E and etc from Column "F".

I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

In I36, put M, I37 put F.

In H36, =SUMPRODUCT(--($G$2:$G$200="J"),--($H$2:$H$200=I36))

and copy to H37

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Dave" wrote in message
2 columns (F & G) with several rows. Column "F" includes 7 code letters

(C,E,
J, and etc.) for coding. Column G has only 2 codes. Either "M" or "F". I

want
to show in a total box all the "J" "M"'s in one cell (H36) and show all
total of "J"; "F"'s (H37) in another separate total cell discounting all
other codes C,E and etc from Column "F".

I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave

I tried but must be doing something wrong. It would not work. What I would
like to do is to forget the actual working copy and create a very simple
similiar worksheet using just 2 columns and 8 rows. Try a formula for that
and if I can get that to work along with "my" understanding of how it is to
work, then I can go back to the real worksheet and go from there. Make sense?
I apoligize for my ignornance and would appreciate some assistance. I'm using
a worksheet created by another. The way the cells are arranged on it might be
the causing the error.

Thank you in case you are willing to assist.

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
2 columns (F & G) with several rows. Column "F" includes 7 code letters
(C,E,
J, and etc.) for coding. Column G has only 2 codes. Either "M" or "F". I
want
to show in a total box all the "J" "M"'s in one cell (H36) and show all
total of "J"; "F"'s (H37) in another separate total cell discounting all
other codes C,E and etc from Column "F".

I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave

I apoligize for my ignorance. Must be old age. Anyway the formula works and I
thank you for your time.

Dave