Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DJL

Default workbook update each time a new worksheet is selected

I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either
by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this
without using a macro? (if a macro is necessary I can live with it..I'm
trying to keep things simple)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JE McGimpsey

What do you mean by "update"?

In general, macros are the only way to make changes outside the user's
control.

In article ,
DJL wrote:

I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either
by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this
without using a macro? (if a macro is necessary I can live with it..I'm
trying to keep things simple)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DJL

This workbook is timekeeping tool for one employee for an entire year. It
contains a timesheet for each week. To make it easy to me to create 52
worksheets and be certain that each one reports correctly to a monthly
worksheets, the worksheet "knows" which week it is from the tab name.
Change the tab name to W2 and the sheet is ready to receive data for the
second week in January. The only problem is I get this the worksheet name
from the Info function. I need this function to be refreshed each time I go
to a new sheet. - I JUST SAW MY PROBLEM - Forgive me, I am new at this.
That function makes each sheet "think" it is the active sheet. What I need
is functoin in each sheet that reads the name of the worksheet containing
that function. If this makes no sense to you tell me so and I will try again
in a separate post.

DJL wrote:

I need to update a workbook each time the user goes to a new worksheet either
by selecting the tab for that worksheet or by hyperlink. How can I to this
without using a macro? (if a macro is necessary I can live with it..I'm
trying to keep things simple)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DJL

This does what I need.

=VALUE(REPLACE((MID(CELL("filename",A1), FIND("]", CELL("filename", A1))+ 1,
255)),1,1," "))

Where the names are W1, W2...Wn and all I need is the numeric part of the
tab name.

This was adapted from what I found on this web site:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formu..._function.html