Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ced

Default Excedl 2003 / How to automize file opening

Hello Everyone

below, my issue with excel 2003:

When opening my "mainfile.xls", I wish it could open others "datafileS.xls",
needed for my calculation within "mainfile.xls". All files are located in
the same
directory.

a. mainfile.xls
b. datafile1.xls
c. datafile2.xls
d. datafile3.xls

In "mainfile.xls", I do use function such as INDIRECT("Datafile1.xls.....),
to calculate various figures using my data files.

My main problem is that if all my "datafileS.xls" are not opened
when launching "mainfile.xls", this one cannot retrieve the data, and shows
all cells with: #REF"

Your help would be really appreciated, by the way, happy week-end to all
members.

Ced
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Ced,

When opening my "mainfile.xls", I wish it could open others "datafileS.xls",
needed for my calculation within "mainfile.xls". All files are located in
the same
directory.

You can solve this in a number of ways, the easiest being creating a workspace
file.

Open all files that belong together and then choose file, save workspace. This
saves what files you have open at a specific moment. Opening a workspace file
then causes all pertaining workbooks to be opened automatically.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ced

Jan,
prompt answer, thank you very much, have a nice week-end.
Cedric

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote:

Hi Ced,

When opening my "mainfile.xls", I wish it could open others "datafileS.xls",
needed for my calculation within "mainfile.xls". All files are located in
the same
directory.

You can solve this in a number of ways, the easiest being creating a workspace
file.

Open all files that belong together and then choose file, save workspace. This
saves what files you have open at a specific moment. Opening a workspace file
then causes all pertaining workbooks to be opened automatically.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com