Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JWDesigns

Default assign a number value to a text. ie, PL equals .5

I'm using different material "plate, angle, tube steel" I would like to
assign a number value to that text. ie. plate would equal .5 Is there a way I
can do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

Put the .5 in an un-used cell. Select the cell and then pull-down:

Insert Names Define and enter plate then click add and click ok.

You can then use the name in a formula:

=plate*12.345
--
Gary's Student

"JWDesigns" wrote:

I'm using different material "plate, angle, tube steel" I would like to
assign a number value to that text. ie. plate would equal .5 Is there a way I
can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Actually, you could set up Named Constants....
Here's how:

InsertNameDefine
Names In Workbook: Plate
Refers to: =0.5
Click OK

Now you don't have to worry about accidentally deleting or writing over a
cell with that value.

Use it like this:
A1: 10
B1: A1*Plate <----results in 5

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"JWDesigns" wrote:

I'm using different material "plate, angle, tube steel" I would like to
assign a number value to that text. ie. plate would equal .5 Is there a way I
can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JWDesigns

I'm creating a estimating template. I would like to assign the text of "PL"
a number value of .55. This would help in not having to enter .55 in an
additional cell for calculation.