Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Etienne Erasmus

Default Overline or Overbar Font

With reference to my previous question regarding a line on the top of text.
How can I create an overline font which is similar to the underline font,
except that the line must be on top of text and not under the text. Can you
please assist
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Chip Pearson

There is no way to do this with a font. The closest you can get
is to put a border on top of the cell, but this will extend the
entire column width, not just the width of the text.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Etienne Erasmus"
wrote in message
With reference to my previous question regarding a line on the
top of text.
How can I create an overline font which is similar to the
underline font,
except that the line must be on top of text and not under the
text. Can you
please assist

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Etienne Erasmus

Dear Chip

Can Microsoft create this type of Overline font as an upgrade for the Office
Package?

Thanking you

Etienne Erasmus

wrote in message
With reference to my previous question regarding a line on the
top of text.
How can I create an overline font which is similar to the
underline font,
except that the line must be on top of text and not under the
text. Can you
please assist

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jerry W. Lewis

I doubt that MS will create either such a font or an overline format,
unless they perceive a widespread need for it.

There are font editors for sale that would allow you to create your own
custom character sets.
http://www.fontlab.com/index.php
lists several. When I looked for one over 10 years ago, they were very
expensive (specialized market). Now there appears to be one that is
open source
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
I cannot recommend any, since my experience is extremely dated.

Depending on what you are trying to do, you might be able to get by with
far less work. Historically, most such requests in these newsgroups
have been to write statistical equations, where the bar over the letter
was shorthand for an average. For equations, the Equation editor is
easier and more flexible (Insert|Object|Microsoft Equation).

xbar is Alt-0214 in the Math Ext font from
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html
xbar is Alt-0120 in the MS Reference 1 font

Jerry

wrote in message

With reference to my previous question regarding a line on the
top of text.
How can I create an overline font which is similar to the
underline font,
except that the line must be on top of text and not under the
text. Can you
please assist

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There is a way to do this with one character at a time. It does not work with a block of text, however, because a default space is added before each character.

You can read about it he
http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forum.as...rline-in-Excel