Steve

Default Error Launching Browser

I have Office 2003. When in Excel I go to Help/Check for updates. I get a
message that says "Error Launching Browser". What I am doing wrong? Your
help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Steve Reinstgein

David McRitchie

Hi Steve,
My guess is that you are not using Internet Explorer as your default
browser. IE would allow Microsoft to run Active-X on your machine.

I use Firefox as my default browser and if I were to go to
http://support.microsoft.com from Firefox and then head for anything
marked update I would get the following message:
Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.
To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

Do you get such a message. What are you trying to update would they
be HELP files -- I don't have Excel 2003. For updates, I try to make sure that nothing starts automatically and that I use IE to
get updates from Microsoft.
---
HTH,

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I have Office 2003. When in Excel I go to Help/Check for updates. I get a
message that says "Error Launching Browser". What I am doing wrong? Your
help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Steve Reinstgein

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
krouse

I get the same error as Steve but my default browser must be IE, because
links open in IE from any e-mail. But I cannot find anywhere else in Outlook
where I can change any kind of preferences for the browser. Can you guide me?