JM Hazel

Default Check book register template

I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it. Until I
need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature in the
Balance column doesn't work.
What did I do wrong?
How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to get the
Balance feature to work.
Thanks for your help
--
JM Hazel
Gary''s Student

When you insert a new, empty, row into a checkbook, you are usually
introducing a blank cell into a column containing formulae. You need to
continue the formulae through the blanks.

1. find a blank cell with a formula above
2. select the cell and touch CNTRL-D this will copy the formula from the
cell above
3. select the cell below the new (previously blank) cell and touch CNTRL-D
again
--
Gary's Student

"JM Hazel" wrote:

I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it. Until I
need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature in the
Balance column doesn't work.
What did I do wrong?
How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to get the
Balance feature to work.
Thanks for your help
--
JM Hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Teacher_Becky

I'm having the same difficulty of finding a way to extend/lengthen my balance
template. The Ctrl+D works great - I didn't know that - very handy. But it
seems to only work for existing cells. I need more than the 12 rows allotted
in this template. There doesn't seem to be any "insert rows" available. I'm
using Excel 2002. What are we missing?
Thanks for any more help on this.
Becky

"JM Hazel" wrote:

I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it. Until I
need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature in the
Balance column doesn't work.
What did I do wrong?
How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to get the
Balance feature to work.
Thanks for your help
--
JM Hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joyce

I like the Checkbook register template for basic use, too. Does anyone know
how to add a formula to the column named "C" so that cleared checks can be
checked off and my checkbook can be balanced automatically?
--
J.

"JM Hazel" wrote:

I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it. Until I
need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature in the
Balance column doesn't work.
What did I do wrong?
How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to get the
Balance feature to work.
Thanks for your help
--
JM Hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Joyce

One way would be to add a column I called Cleared balance.
Click on the column header for column H to select it, click the Format
painter icon, then click column I, and that will get the appearance the
same.
In cell I6 enter =H6
In cell I7 enter =$I$6-SUMPRODUCT(--($E$7:E7="x"),--($F$7:F7-$G$7:G7))
and copy down.
Then, if you put an x in column E (Labelled "C"), then column I will
reflect the cleared balance down to that transaction.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"JM Hazel" wrote:

I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it.
Until I
need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature
in the
Balance column doesn't work.
What did I do wrong?
How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to
get the
Balance feature to work.
Thanks for your help
--
JM Hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joyce

Thanks, it took a while to "translate" your formula into the template I had
already modified to suit my needs but, it WORKED!!!
--
J.

"JM Hazel" wrote:

I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it.
Until I
need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature
in the
Balance column doesn't work.
What did I do wrong?
How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to
get the
Balance feature to work.
Thanks for your help
--
JM Hazel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Joyce

Thanks for the feedback. That's the problem when one doesn't know
anything about the layout at the other end. I just worked off the
standard template. Glad you managed to sort it all out though.

--
Regards

Roger Govier