Jdog

Default Create a running totaol

CELL A1 has a number CELL B1 is the total (A1). As I add a number in
CELL A2 I want CELL B2 to be the running total. Then I add a number to
CELL A3 and I want B3 to be the total and etc. I don't want the cells
in B to have any number in them untill I add something in column A.
Please help. THANKS!!

--
Jdog
Jdog's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28433

Sandy Mann

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this for a non-volatile suggestion:

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")

I assume that you mean to copy the formula down or you meant
=IF(A1,SUM(A:A),"") which would be fine if there was no other numbers in
column A.

If you meant copy down and the OP had say, 4,000 rows of data, would that
not be more of a calculation load than a volatile function? Of course it
would depend on what the rest of the sheet was like.

--
Regards

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

RagDyeR

Thank you Don.

You can be my lawyer any time you wish!<bg

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
Meant to copy down. Look again
$a$1:a1

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this for a non-volatile suggestion:

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")

I assume that you mean to copy the formula down or you meant
=IF(A1,SUM(A:A),"") which would be fine if there was no other numbers in
column A.

If you meant copy down and the OP had say, 4,000 rows of data, would that
not be more of a calculation load than a volatile function? Of course it
would depend on what the rest of the sheet was like.

--
Regards

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

RagDyeR

It would have to be copied down in order to fulfill the OP's request of
being a *running* total.

And, of course ... I always follow OP directives.<g

As far as volatility ... 4,000 rows being calculated every time *anything*
in the sheet changes, is really not even a point of discussion.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this for a non-volatile suggestion:

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")

I assume that you mean to copy the formula down or you meant
=IF(A1,SUM(A:A),"") which would be fine if there was no other numbers in
column A.

If you meant copy down and the OP had say, 4,000 rows of data, would that
not be more of a calculation load than a volatile function? Of course it
would depend on what the rest of the sheet was like.

--
Regards

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

Ragdyer

Billable ? ... Charge ? ... JA nie rozumiem! ! !
--
Dobry Dzien,

Ryszard Dormack
Sprawiac przyjemnosc (prosze) utrzymuja cala zgodnosc w obrebie *NewsGroup*,
tak (wiec) caly moze przynosic korzysc ! <vbg

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
OK. One billable second. If I was a lawyer I would have to charge for an
hour.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this for a non-volatile suggestion:

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")

I assume that you mean to copy the formula down or you meant
=IF(A1,SUM(A:A),"") which would be fine if there was no other numbers

in
column A.

If you meant copy down and the OP had say, 4,000 rows of data, would

that
not be more of a calculation load than a volatile function? Of course

it
would depend on what the rest of the sheet was like.

--
Regards

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

Ragdyer

The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered in Column
A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you using it,
that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

RD

Sandy Mann wrote:
"RagDyeR" wrote in message

Try this for a non-volatile suggestion:

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")

I assume that you mean to copy the formula down or you meant
=IF(A1,SUM(A:A),"") which would be fine if there was no other numbers in
column A.

If you meant copy down and the OP had say, 4,000 rows of data, would that
not be more of a calculation load than a volatile function? Of course it
would depend on what the rest of the sheet was like.

noyb

My apologies, I was actually reacting generally to the fact that Excel
does not handle the results of a formula which resolves to "" very well
and not to this specific question.

Ragdyer wrote:
The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered in
Column A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you using
it, that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

RagDyeR

Well ... reacting "generally" ... If you attempted to add (Sum() ), the
running total column that contained those zero length strings ( "" ), you
would get an accurate total, with *no* error messages.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

Ragdyer wrote:
The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered in
Column A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you using
it, that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

David McRitchie

Hi /Torsorq,
You might want to reconsider your requirements after reading
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_u...2@TK2MSFTNGP10

Slow Response, Memory Problems, and Speeding up Excel
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm
---
HTH,

Ragdyer wrote:
The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered in
Column A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you using
it, that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

RagDyer

BTW, who's Torsorq?<g

Anyway, very enlightening David.
When you come right down to it, it's really quite logical that
=Sum($A$1:A1)
Does really create a monster calculation job.

One doesn't think about it when referencing several hundred rows.

I don't think I'll suggest it again ... at least not without a caveat as to
the size of the calculation.

However, one might try this:

=INDEX($B$1:$B$20000,ROW()-1)+A2

In place of this:

=OFFSET(B2,-1,)+A2

As far as I can tell, they're about the same speed ... for calculation ...
as well as deletion.

But I must admit, that the Offset does "look" cleaner then the Index,
Just as the =Sum($A$1:A1)
Looks cleaner then the Offset.

RD

Ragdyer wrote:
The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered in
Column A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you

using
it, that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

David McRitchie

Guess I picked the name from the wrong thread in a previous message.
Appears that one involved counting instead of a total.

Why would index work faster or make more sense than
offset of one row up from a cell on the current row.

Ragdyer wrote:
The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered in
Column A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you

using
it, that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

RagDyer

Never said it would be faster or better, just an observation of an
alternative approach.

"RagDyer" wrote in message

BTW, who's Torsorq?<g

Anyway, very enlightening David.
When you come right down to it, it's really quite logical that
=Sum($A$1:A1)
Does really create a monster calculation job.

One doesn't think about it when referencing several hundred rows.

I don't think I'll suggest it again ... at least not without a caveat as

the size of the calculation.

However, one might try this:

=INDEX($B$1:$B$20000,ROW()-1)+A2

In place of this:

=OFFSET(B2,-1,)+A2

As far as I can tell, they're about the same speed ... for calculation

as well as deletion.

But I must admit, that the Offset does "look" cleaner then the Index,
Just as the =Sum($A$1:A1)
Looks cleaner then the Offset.

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"RagDyeR" wrote in message

Well ... reacting "generally" ... If you attempted to add (Sum() ),

the
running total column that contained those zero length strings (

"" ),
you
would get an accurate total, with *no* error messages.

RD

-------------------
Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit

!

-------------------

Ragdyer wrote:
The OP asked that "no number" be present until a value was entered

in
Column A.

What are your specs?
Can you accept a zero?

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),0)

Also, exactly what formula are you using, and in what way are you

using
it, that's giving you an error?

There might be viable "workarounds".

Jdog

Many great ideas!! I want to thank everyone for thier comments and
suggestions.