watcher422

Default Please Please Help Me New To Excel

okay i'll do my best to ask this question. I have this spread sheet
I've beentrying to figure out

It has the number 5 in I6, then in J6 the formula =I6/10*21

This spread sheet is to show us the current number of sales we have now
and based on todays date what we are on pace to hit by the end of the
month(Octobers projected sales finish)

So, what I want to know is why does it say 10*21. I know that the
"21" stands for the number of business days in the month (21 days in
October), but what does the 10 represent???

I looked at another spread sheet from last month, but it shows
=I6/14*21

why would the number before the * be different?? Im lost someon please
emailme so I can forward it to you to explain. unless you can explain
it now????

--
watcher422
watcher422's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28334

Anne Troy

How could we possibly know if this is your worksheet? Perhaps 10% is the
profit?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"watcher422" wrote
in message ...

watcher422 wrote:
I have this spread sheet I've beentrying to figure out
It has the number 5 in I6, then in J6 the formula =I6/10*21

This spread sheet is to show us the current number of
sales we have now and based on todays date what we are
on pace to hit by the end of the month(Octobers projected
sales finish)

So, what I want to know is why does it say 10*21.
I know that the "21" stands for the number of business
days in the month (21 days in October), but what does
the 10 represent???

I can only guess that the data in I6 (sales to date?)
was as of the 10th sales day of the month. Thus, I6/10
represents the number of sales per day. Multiplying by
21 (number of sales days per month) gives expected total
sales for the month, as you desire.

I looked at another spread sheet from last month,
but it shows =I6/14*21

why would the number before the * be different??

Based on my theory, I6 (sales to date) was as of the 14th
sales day of that month.

But please keep in mind that these are only wild guesses
based on the objectives of the spreadsheet as you describe
them. What you describe is a very remedial way to design
the spreadsheet for that purpose. So I am suspicious of
my own theory. It could very well be wrong.

If you would like to know how to design a spreadsheet so
that it is more general and easier to understand, I'm sure
members of this newsgroup can help. Your requirements
seem clear, and they are not very demanding.