azik

Default Could anyone help me with (Today function), please?

I got exercise asking to enter formula to compute "the years of service"
using "=(Today()-E2)/365" formula in cell "D2" in table where :
cell E2 is Hire Date 11/24/93 and cell D2 is empty.
Everytime i enter formula it keeps giving error result #VALUE.
I'd be glad if somebody could help me to solve this problem by guiding me
through?
Thank you for your help in advance.
Gord Dibben

azik

You would get the error if E2 did not contain a valid date.

In a cell enter =ISNUMBER(E2)

If not a date it will return FALSE.

Re-enter the date in E2 in the proper order for your Regional Settings.

My settings would require me to enter it as dd/mm/yy

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:29:02 -0800, "azik"
wrote:

I got exercise asking to enter formula to compute "the years of service"
using "=(Today()-E2)/365" formula in cell "D2" in table where :
cell E2 is Hire Date 11/24/93 and cell D2 is empty.
Everytime i enter formula it keeps giving error result #VALUE.
I'd be glad if somebody could help me to solve this problem by guiding me
through?
Thank you for your help in advance.

azik

I did exactly as you said , but i still get error "#VALUE" and after I spent
another 2 hours just to find out the error , no result. Don't want to be
sticky but if you got any other solution for these , could you let me know ,
please.

wrote:

I got exercise asking to enter formula to compute "the years of service"
using "=(Today()-E2)/365" formula in cell "D2" in table where :
cell E2 is Hire Date 11/24/93 and cell D2 is empty.
Everytime i enter formula it keeps giving error result #VALUE.
I'd be glad if somebody could help me to solve this problem by guiding me
through?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Dave Peterson

When you used
=ISNUMBER(E2)
Did you get True or False back?

If you got True, then I don't have a suggestion.

But if you got False back, try entering the date one more time in E2.

Maybe spell it out to enter it: November 24, 1993
and reformat the cell to mm/dd/yy.

Hi,

--

Dave Peterson
Ken Wright

I'd use CTRL+; to enter a date and then edit that - That way you can be sure it
is in the correct format etc for your settings.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
When you used
=ISNUMBER(E2)
Did you get True or False back?

If you got True, then I don't have a suggestion.

But if you got False back, try entering the date one more time in E2.

Maybe spell it out to enter it: November 24, 1993
and reformat the cell to mm/dd/yy.

Hi,

wrote:

I got exercise asking to enter formula to compute "the years of service"
using "=(Today()-E2)/365" formula in cell "D2" in table where :
cell E2 is Hire Date 11/24/93 and cell D2 is empty.
Everytime i enter formula it keeps giving error result #VALUE.
I'd be glad if somebody could help me to solve this problem by guiding me
through?
Thank you for your help in advance.

--

Dave Peterson

azik

Hi, everybody

Finally I managed to sort it out . As you advised , I started exercise from
the begining and this time I formatted date to UK style. And it worked.
I'll will use this forum from now on. Very usefull.
Thank you very much for your help.