STEVE MAL via OfficeKB.com

Default new users

Hi, i am quite new to excell and require some help, i am trying to solve a
problem for a junior football team that i run. I have a list of 14 players
and require 9 to play at any one time thus leaving 5 subs. They play 4
quarters so i need so swap the players in each quarter making sure that they
all get an equal amount of football. I am not sure if there is any formular
in excel to help with this problem but any help would be much appreciated. Oh
the players that are subbed in the first quarter need to change every week so
its not the same lads on the line at the start.

Bernie Deitrick

Steve,

This isn't really a strength of Excel, though I applaud your desire for equal playing time. I
coached for the last 3 years at the youth level, and what we did is this:

Keeper, sweeper, and outside backs start and play entire first half. Switch those players at the
half with four others, who play the entire second half.

The other ten players, break into two groups of three (center and outside mids) and two groups of
two (strikers).

Sub the mids as a group at halfway through each quarter: each group ends up playing half of the
half.
Sub the strikers as a group when they appear tired - as frequently as needed, trying to keep
balanced time, shooting for half time on.

At the end of the game, each of the 8 players that played defense or keeper at some time end up
having played 3/4 of the game, and the 6 who only play mid or striker get to play about half of the
game. You'll rarely get all 14 showing up (which is a big roster for fielding 9 - we used to carry
12 or 13), so the average time played will increase as your subs decrease, but will make your life
difficult doing the subs - you may need to start switching from the back. It helps to have a parent
timing on the sidelines, getting the kids organized, and making sure they know where to go and who
to replace when you yell "Sub, Ref!"

Certainly, you can keep track of who played where using a spreadsheet, but there won't be any way to
do all this automatically.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"STEVE MAL via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message
Hi, i am quite new to excell and require some help, i am trying to solve a
problem for a junior football team that i run. I have a list of 14 players
and require 9 to play at any one time thus leaving 5 subs. They play 4
quarters so i need so swap the players in each quarter making sure that they
all get an equal amount of football. I am not sure if there is any formular
in excel to help with this problem but any help would be much appreciated. Oh
the players that are subbed in the first quarter need to change every week so
its not the same lads on the line at the start.

STEVE MAL via OfficeKB.com

Cheers Bernie, thanks for the advice, I’m quite new to excel and new to the
football coaching game, I was on the side line last year wondering why the
same player always got subbed, my thinking is a player will never improve his
game if on the side line all the time hence my need for equal and fair
playing time. I know excel is a powerful tool just thought it may be able to
help me out. Once again thanks.

Steve.

Bernie Deitrick wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]