Old May 20th 12, 05:31 PM
Junior Member

Default How do I use letters to represent numbers?

what i am looking for is
k=1000
M=1000000
G=1000000000
m=.001
....ect

i then what to be able to use this in calculations
for example
5k +1k = 6000

i am trying to do this to make it easier to input the data and easier to read, the numbers get too big and i find i have to count places alot so i know what i am looking at

thank you in advance for you help

excel_noob

Old May 20th 12, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"excel_noob" wrote:
Subject: How do I use letters to represent numbers?

Kinda light in details. For numbers from 0 to 25 in A1, for uppercase
letters, use:

CHAR(65+A1)

For lowercase letters, use:

CHAR(97+A1)

For numbers that might be larger than 25, use base-26 arithmetic. For
example, numbers from 0 to 675 can be represented by the 2-letter
combinations formed as follows:

CHAR(65+INT(A1/26))&CHAR(65+MOD(A1,26))

Old May 21st 12, 07:41 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
"excel_noob" wrote:

Kinda light in details. For numbers from 0 to 25 in A1, for uppercase
letters, use:

CHAR(65+A1)

For lowercase letters, use:

CHAR(97+A1)

For numbers that might be larger than 25, use base-26 arithmetic. For
example, numbers from 0 to 675 can be represented by the 2-letter
combinations formed as follows:

CHAR(65+INT(A1/26))&CHAR(65+MOD(A1,26))

what i mean is that i want to input some value into a cell i.e. 6.6k which equals 6600 and in another 26mA which equals .026A for example. I then want to be able to use that in another calculation.
6.6k*26m which equals 171.6
the actual calculation does not need the k or m, but i do want to be able to just select the cell that holds the 6.6k and 26m for my calculations