Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Default How to open a file in another window?

Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom
What about using "view/arrange/horizontal"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Review the settings in... Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display (section)
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.

Note: especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary or desirable to post in multiple
groups.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Tom"
wrote in message
Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Thank you very much.

Review the settings in... Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced |
Display (section)
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.

It is check marked. But it is not the point.
The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.

Note: especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
or desirable to post in multiple groups.

OK. Sorry.

Regards
Tom

Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows group and click "View Side by
Side"
Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(XL Companion add-in: compares, matches, counts, lists, finds, deletes...)

"Tom" wrote in message
Thank you very much.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

It is diffucult for me to describe my problem precisely.
I want to have 2 Excel files in 2 separate windows,
that's all.
I don't want to have the files in 1 window - side by side
or one under one.

What is strange for me, I installed the MS Office 2007
4 or 5 times before this time and such problem never
happened.

Regards
Tom

Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows
group and click "View Side by Side"
Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(XL Companion add-in: compares, matches, counts, lists, finds,
deletes...)

"Tom" wrote in message
Thank you very much.

Review the settings in... Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced
| Display (section)
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.

It is check marked. But it is not the point.
The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.

Note: especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
or desirable to post in multiple groups.

OK. Sorry.

Regards
Tom

Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You might have had some sort of workspace file.xlw - it displays saved files & window arrangements.
Also,
First... in Excel Options, try check marking "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data
Exchange".
Second... just open two separate instances of Excel and arrange the windows as you like.
Third... there is a method in Windows Explorer in Windows XP to have each file open in a separate
instance of Excel.
'---
Open Windows Explorer
Select “Tools”
Select “Folder Options”
Select the “File Types” Tab
Scroll down and select the appropriate file extension
Click the “Advanced” Button
Select the “Open” action from the list
Click the “Edit…” Button
Where is says “Application used to perform action:”
(make a copy of the existing text and save it)
If not already there, add:
/e “%1?

to the end of the file path
Uncheck the “Use DDE” box
Click OK
Click OK
'---
I've read that the above has been hobbled in Vista and Windows 7 - I am on XP.
If none of the above applies/works then wait for a day to see if others will contribute. If not
repost in Excel.Misc.
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(Formats & Styles xl add-in: lists/removes unused styles & number formats) - free

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

"Tom" wrote in message
Thank you very much.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Thank you once again.

Third... there is a method in Windows Explorer in Windows XP
to have each file open in a separate instance of Excel.

How to do it?

Open Windows Explorer
Select “Tools”
Select “Folder Options”
Select the “File Types” Tab
Scroll down and select the appropriate file extension
Click the “Advanced” Button
Select the “Open” action from the list
Click the “Edit…” Button
Where is says “Application used to perform action:”
(make a copy of the existing text and save it)
If not already there, add:
/e “%1?

to the end of the file path
Uncheck the “Use DDE” box
Click OK
Click OK

Unfortunately, it didn't help. :-(

I think that the problem is more general and is connected
with dragging and dropping method.
Usually I opened the second file by dragging the name to
the Excel icon. Now instead of oppenning the file,
a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
I noticed that the same happens with Word files.

Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
It is not "?" mark of course. It is a mark of circle
with a line accross, a ban mark probably.

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

If not already there, add:
/e “%1?

to the end of the file path
Uncheck the “Use DDE” box

/e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
As I said, it didn't help.
Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.

Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.

Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

If not already there, add:
/e “%1?

to the end of the file path
Uncheck the “Use DDE” box

/e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
As I said, it didn't help.
Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.

Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.

I got back to the system before the change
so now I have only /e and checked Use DDE.

Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

The problem has been solved!

It didn't work when the shortcut (icon) of Excel
program was made from Start menu.
When I made the shortcut (icon) from .exe file
in Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
everything is OK.

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Regards
Tom