Lee

Default hiding rows

is there a way to hide rows that have a certain character in that row.

example
B1
1
-
-
4
5
The rows with a "-" gets hidden and if the cell gets data other than "-"
later it would unhide the row.

a guy at work said this wasn't possible. without programing. I don't know
that much about VBA. So if that is the only way I guess I will have to learn

Thanks in advance
Sandy Mann

It is very clunky but, you can highlight the Column then select Data
Filter Autofilter click on the arrowhead and then select (Custom ...)

Click on the arrowhead of the top left box and select does not equal and
put a dash in the other top box then click OK.

To unhide the row after entering data you have to re-apply the Custom
Autofilter again, (I said that it was clukky!)

This will not work if the "-" is being entered because the cell is formatted
as Currency

Otherwise get a good book on VBA.
--
HTH

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

"Lee" wrote in message
is there a way to hide rows that have a certain character in that row.

example
B1
1
-
-
4
5
The rows with a "-" gets hidden and if the cell gets data other than "-"
later it would unhide the row.

a guy at work said this wasn't possible. without programing. I don't know
that much about VBA. So if that is the only way I guess I will have to
learn

Thanks in advance

Dave Peterson

You could apply data|filter|Autofilter to that column.

Then filter by that column (click the downarrow) and choose
custom
(scroll down the list)
does not contain
-

And you'll see just the cells that don't have dashes.

Then to see everything:
data|filter|show all
(or click the arrow and choose (all))

The autofilter stuff is really a nice way to see your data. I'd select the
whole range and apply to all the columns.

Lee wrote:

is there a way to hide rows that have a certain character in that row.

example
B1
1
-
-
4
5
The rows with a "-" gets hidden and if the cell gets data other than "-"
later it would unhide the row.

a guy at work said this wasn't possible. without programing. I don't know
that much about VBA. So if that is the only way I guess I will have to learn

Thanks in advance

--

Dave Peterson
Debra Dalgleish

You could use an AutoFilter to hide the rows with hyphens. However, you would
have to reapply the AutoFilter to update the results -- it doesn't
automatically adjust if the list items change.

There's information on AutoFilter in Excel's Help, and he

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

"Lee" wrote:

is there a way to hide rows that have a certain character in that row.

example
B1
1
-
-
4
5
The rows with a "-" gets hidden and if the cell gets data other than "-"
later it would unhide the row.

a guy at work said this wasn't possible. without programing. I don't know
that much about VBA. So if that is the only way I guess I will have to learn

Thanks in advance

Sandy Mann

Lee" wrote in message

I what to hide the entire row not the column.

All three answers will hide the row not the column. Did you try them?

--
Rrgards