LanceB

Default Sorting titles for a mail out

Hello

I haven't used excel for over ten years and have been asked to amend a
database of names and addresses for somebody and then sort them so he
can do mail outs.

Sometimes eg column a) will be Mr Smith, so letter will say Dear Mr
Smith. Pips.
But sometimes column a) will be The Marketing Manager. This is great
for the address label, but I want to say Dear Future Exhibitor in the
letter. Do you know how I do this please?

thanks,

Paula

--
LanceB
LanceB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26715

Bernie Deitrick

Lance/Paula,

Copy column A and insert it as a new column B. Change the heading to "Salutation". Then filter it
basedon column B (data /Filter... Autofilter), and for any value such as The Marketing Manager,
select all the visible cells (after you ahve filtered the list, select the cells and use Edit / Go
To... Special, Visible Cells only) and type in Future Exhibitor in the formula Bar and use
Ctrl-Enter to replace all of the values.

Then when you do the mail merge, use column A as the address and column B as the Salutation: Dear
<<Salutation, etc..

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP