Bob Mckenzie

Default Storing data

I have designed a worksheet for keeping track of invoice numbers, amounts
and calculations etc split into months. Saving this as a .xlt file works
fine and updates are saved correctly.

The first Tab on the same worksheet is an Invoice Print page into which I
enter a new Invoice Number and details and it prints OK but I have a couple
of questions.

1) As the .xlt file is updated every time I save I have no 'preserved'
record of each Invoice. How can I save each individual Invoice as a record
on my hard drive?

2) I understand that saving in .xlt updates the original so what purpose
does an .xls file serve?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards

Bob

Trevor Shuttleworth

Bob

I suspect that you are not actually using the template as a template. If
you use File | Open | and then navigate to the template file (.xlt), you are
simply opening an Excel file for editing ... just as you would a .xls file.
If/when you save the .xlt file you are overwriting the template ... just as
any other .xls file.

To use the template as it should be used, you should select File | New and
select the template either from the default location or navigate to it.
Opening a template will give you a "basic" document which, when you save it,
will default to "Save As" hence you would get a preserved record of each
invoice.

Anyway, that's my guess at what's happening. Hope it helps.

Regards

Trevor